SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trpnbils

5HP Briggs tiller engine problem

trpnbils
10 years ago

OK so I know this isn't a lawnmower, but I'd imagine the process will be the same with my tiller....

I got a front-tined tiller off of a guy down the road this past Spring with a 5hp B&S engine on it. It ran fine, save for a few minor issues with the throttle control, but when I went to start it up this Fall, it won't do anything. Here's what the engine is: Model 130292, Type 0159-04, Code 7502-1007

Here's what I've tried so far:
- Checked jet on carb - it is clear
- replaced diaphragm on carb
- looked for crud in the carb - looks totally clean to me with no corrosion.
- checked spark plug - works fine with nice, bright spark
- dumped old gas out of the tank, rinsed with new gas, and refilled
- checked and cleaned intake filters on carb

I'm assuming this is an issue with old gas because I've only had it 8 months or so, but I don't think I ever ran it out of gas so the gas in it is probably a year old or more. The tiller itself is 40 years old, and the previous owner had it for 2 years before switching out to a rear-tined tiller. I thought dumping the gas and rinsing the tank would do it, but still no luck. Even when I put NEW gas into the spark plug hole, I'll hear it "pop" and get a little smoke out of the exhaust, but it doesn't turn over.

My next thought is to start replacing gaskets. The one between the carb and the gas tank is particularly bad, and also there is occasional smoke that comes out from the crack where the top of the engine that the spark plug sits in and the bottom of the engine are bolted together so that gasket might be bad too.

Any thoughts here? I'd like to get my garden tilled under before the ground freezes!

Comments (7)