SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Our phone number was 6

gandle
16 years ago

When I was living with my grandparents, we were on a 5 party line and every time the phone rang, our ring was 2 longs and 1 short, you could hear receivers being picked up on the other phones on our line. My friend

Bob's folks number was 11 and their ring was 2 short rings unfortunately they weren't on our party line so I would have to crank the phone and talk to the central operator who sometimes would tell me I don't think Bob is at home, just saw him riding his bike by the office. He lived in the tiny town of about 90 people and just about everyone kept track of everyone else.

There was an emergency or all party ring that connected you with everybody on the entire exchange if you needed to make an announcement or had an emergency that you needed help for. That ring was one long 20 second ring and meant everyone on the entire exchange was being called. There probably wasn't over 30 phones on the entire exchange but it got the news out. The monthly phone bill was $2:00 and the grandparents thought it quite an extravagence but necessary to be up to date.

Long distance calls were rare and the quality of the transmission wasn't very good, besides they were expensive so it was very rarely used.

The phone was one of those oblong walnut boxes with the receiver hanging beside it and when you made a call you rang 1 short ring and the operator would say "central". There were 2 large dry cell batterys inside the box, don't ever remember them ever having to be changed.

Now I just grab the cell phone but I rather miss the operator telling me that she didn't think Bob was at home.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions