SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engk916

newbie help with improving clay soil

engk916
16 years ago

hi, i need help improving the soil of my garden. we just installed a walkway that made room for a great spot, but it's covered with rocks. i noticed during the installation that there seems to be a really thin layer (the constractor said it was 3 inches, but it seems more like 1") of topsoil that lies over hard red clay. i mean, it's so hard that it almost seems like a sun-dried brick when left exposed.

i know it will take a few years to improve the soil, but i'm somewhat of a newbie, and am not sure how to go about this. my husband feels certain that the only way to grow anything in this rocky clay patch is to buy a lot of topsoil and manure to create a raised bed. is this the only way to do this? i know i need to remove the rocks, but beyond that i'm not sure how else to add biomass and break up the hard clay. if anyone could recommend a multi-year plan that would be great. i thought of planting something small like squash and tomatoes this year, then sowing a nitrogen-adding green manure like hairy vetch for the spring. or something to break up the clay pan like alfalfa. however, i'm not sure if that would be a mistake because i heard it could be hard to kill in time for the spring planting.

here's a picture of the garden area so you can see what i'm dealing with:

http://s283.photobucket.com/albums/kk282/engk916/?action=view&current=theyard.jpg

it isn't a large space (8' x 14'), but roomy enough to grow a few things for our family of four. if anyone could help this newbie with some tips i would really appreciate it.

thanks!

Comments (27)