SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
endorphinjunkie

Saturday's Musin'

endorphinjunkie
15 years ago

I took the day off from soccer to go off on a road trip with Sigma Tau Delta. Spring is when Afro-America literature is taught. So this year the gang decided to spend the day in Montgomery and did a tour of the civil rights sights. We started off touring the Dexter Avenue Baptist Church where Dr King was pastor in the late 50's and early 60's. We also toured the parsonage where he and his family resided. Each place had a short film and then a walking presentation. We then took the short trip over to the Rosa Parks museum and did pretty much the same.

After a short lunch, and since Montgomery is also associated with an earlier literary giant and couple, we toured the F. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald museum. We also had a short presentation, on Zelda mostly, and a short tour of the house where they once resided.

What's the connection between these giants, one might ask? It was Zelda' father, an Alabama Supreme Court Justice who wrote some of Alabama's first Jim Crow laws.

It's a three hour drive to Montgomery both coming and going. When you are in a van load of English Phds and the top students of the department one can't escape the word games played for the duration of the ride... It does keep one on one's toes, mentally speaking....

Got home and cooked up some cornbread with my new iron ware.

Will have a beer later and hunt down my copy of The Great Gatsby and re-read it after twenty years or so.

Elia

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions