SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jazmynsmom

Spring Fever (long)

jazmynsmom
17 years ago

"You sure use that word a lot!" said my little seven-year-old girlfriend from next door as she sat with me on my back garden bench last weekend. The word in question was "excited" and I was using it so frequently because we were discussing spring. I told her that she was hearing a symptom of the Spring Fever from which I "suffered" and cautioned it was highly contagious, and if she wasn't careful, she'd probably catch it from just talking to me. She laughed and said she didn't think she could ever get as "sick" as I was!

So I invited her on a stroll through our yard with me. I pointed out the swaths of daffodils that had withstood a late season snowfall and have been in their glory for weeks now and hundreds of blushing tulips. She looked at a particular bed that had several types of hyacinth, tulips and daffies all in their prime and pronounced with authority that it was an "especially successful bed." (Such an odd choice of words for a first grader.)

We walked barefoot through our freshly-mown lush green lawn. She admired my purple shimmery toenails and asked if a "professional toe painter" had done them. I think she was disappointed by my affirmative response because she was hoping I had the supplies on hand to do hers too.

I showed her the profusion of white flowers on my weeping cherry tree. The day before there had only been one white bloom and I had watched as the rest opened up like popcorn by sunset of that same day, the whole tree swarmed with fat bees enjoying their first sips of the year.

Ever since my serendipitous discovery a couple months ago that flowers make noise when they bloom (I noticed an odd noise in my kitchen and realized it was the sound of 100 cut daffodils breaking through their paper skins) I want to be close to opening blossoms to see if other varieties are similarly audible. The stillness this requires serves as a dose of stability to counter the mania such a thing inspires in me.

I pointed out my redbud tree full of still unpopped blossoms and we speculated as to the probably noisiness of them when they unfurl later this week. I asked her if she remembered their flavor. Her mom introduced us to their edibility last year, and we had stood around and eaten the flowers together.

We looked at my dormant herb and veggie beds. The chives and garlic are awake, and so is the mint, which is as intent on escaping its sunken pots as I am on keeping it contained. We tasted the leaves and I pruned away the "naughty" stems, which managed to escape this winter. Then we looked at the progress of my seedlings under grow lights.

The people who live behind us enjoy over ten acres of naturalized prairie and a wide strip of mature hardwoods to buffer their property from that of at least ten of my adjacent neighbors. The tree row is completely naturalized, and each spring the ground beneath them is carpeted with trout lilies as far as the eye can see. I pointed them out to her and asked if she remembered seeing them three years ago: This was a year after we had moved in, and I had removed much of the lawn at the back of our property to make a giant flower bed the previous fall. The trout lily bloom had coincided with my mulch shoveling weekend and I had Tom Sawyer-ed three neighborhood four-year-olds, she among them, to help me rake out the mulch. I pointed out the lilies that day, and her friend (and my neighbor to the other side) had asked if they were mine. I told her they weren't.

She asked who had planted them. Thinking that I was giving the easy answer, and attempting to honor the religion of my neighbors on both sides, I had told her "God planted them." Her eyes got wide and she lowered her voice to a star-struck whisper. "Does God live in that house behind us?"

I re-told the story to my young friend and she was able to see the humor through her now-more-grown-up eyes. My hope is that it is she who points the lilies out to me next year...

I showed her my various perennials awakening in their beds and reminded her of the shape, color and smells of each. We touched as many new leaves as we could find. I showed her the little purple buds on my lilacs, their future-tense flowers. Finally, I showed her where my sleepy-headed balloon flowers will be emerging. She's been asking about these since the first warm day in March. They are her favorite because sometimes I invite her to "pop" the flowers with me. She told me she was excited for the balloon flowers to come back.

Aha! Excited! I knew I could infect you! You have Spring Fever now too, and there's not a thing you can do about it! She squealed in mock horror at the realization and we giggled. If I have my way, we'll spread a local epidemic...

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals
More Discussions