SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tarheelman_gw

Commercial Lawn-Boy

18 years ago

Does anybody know how well the '05 commercial Lawn-Boys have sold relative to '04 and earlier units? Also, has anyone heard whether Toro will offer the commercial L-Bs again in '06?

Thanks!

Comments (14)

• 18 years ago

My understanding is that they will only offer the staggered wheel commercial until they run out of excess decks.

• 18 years ago

the new briggs deck is a whole differnt casting then the old ones due to differnt engines to mount to the deck the mower is basicly the same as the previous lawn boy mowers with cast decks from the mid 90s as well as the toro cast decks with quantom engine and 3 speed trans. forget that mower lawn boy is no longer lawn boy. buy a used toro or lawn boy if you want a quantom with 3 speed trans

• 18 years ago

Not sure about sales comparisons. What I do know is that most towns, counties, and schools around me are still using LB commericals..both older and newer 4 stroke models. I think the LB name is ingrained into their purchasing mindset and they have continued to buy them despite the elimination of the 2 stroke.

• 18 years ago

the quantum is not a strong enough engine to qualify for a comm. lawnboy . while its reliable it isnt powerful nor long lasting although i have never owned the i/c series. this mower is WAY over priced also. would be a good buy at 5oo$ . i thought about getting one briefly but got a john deere jx 85 instead. a very wise choice

• 18 years ago

I just feel like a briggs powered commercial mower is like a V-6 Turbo in a Lincoln Town Car. Way over priced and under performing.

• 18 years ago

It's not a Lawn-boy! With out a two-stroke Dura or even a R-tek or what ever, Lawn-boys were 2-stroke now it's just another mower. You can debate about Duraforces or F's or whatever but they were true to the originals! Stagger wheel and alum. deck and green paint are only half the package to me without that double stroke motor it is just another like the others. NUFF said ?

• 18 years ago

Everyone--

Thanks for the replies. I agree that Lawn-Boy is all about the 2-cycle engine (not swoopy styling and cushy ergonomic correctness), but I was wondering how well the staggered wheel 4-cycle commercials are selling. If they're selling reasonably well, then commercial customers still value the staggered wheel deck for its excellent side discharging capability. Consequently, Toro would probably keep it in production for a while, thus giving us a good supply of new blades and replacement bags for several more years.

• 18 years ago

I don't know how well the new quad strokes are selling as compared to the double stroke LB's but I know one thing, They won't be selling me one! I've stocked up on two stroke LB's and parts to last me a lifetime.

• 18 years ago

I believe the aftermarket will step up one more step to answer the parts problem. I don't think Toro will leave us out in the cold when it comes to parts there still money to be made there as well.

• 18 years ago

dont bet on it. i bought a lawnboy m thinking i could still get parts only to find some parts (like really important ones!) are no longer made.

• 18 years ago

I have mixed feelings about Toro's handling of L-B. To their credit, Toro kept building the F-series engine, developed a lower cost version of it (the V-series) for steel deck models (and even installed this engine on steel deck Toro Recyclers), and invested the time and money required to develop a 2-cycle mower engine that was Phase I compliant. Moreover, they gave this Phase I compliant engine some improvements over the F, such as ball bearings for the crankshaft main bearings, a better air cleaner design (fully enclosed with a separate intake tube), and a removable cylinder head. An unfortunate consequence of the Phase I compliance was lean carburetor jetting that created surging and other issues, but Toro can't be blamed for this---it was forced upon them by the EPA's hydrocarbon emission standards under Phase I.

On the other hand, when they found out how much it was going to cost to develop a Phase II compliant 2-cycle mower engine, I think that Toro's commitment to L-B weakened. They've essentially turned the L-B brand into a mass-market replacement for the Toro Recycler. While it's true that the Recycler is still being produced, it's not needed anymore---the L-B Insight and L-B Insight Gold units are an improvement over the low end Toro due to their better bagging system and more comfortable handlebar. Thus, all that Lawn-Boy is now is Toro's mass market low end residential brand, while Toro is the company's commercial and high end residential brand.

Because of Toro's weakened commitment to L-B, I'm not sure how long the company will continue to provide parts support for traditional (i.e., 2-cycle) L-Bs still in service, and this worries me. I enjoy using my 2-cycle Lawn-Boys and would like to keep them around for many more years, but I won't be able to if Toro's parts support dries up.

• 18 years ago

Well yeah,I guess maybe your right! If you think about it if they discontinue parts for mowers say 5 years and older it will prompt you to buy a new mower. Thats really what their in buisness for, selling new products. The reality is if you make a product that last forever or a long time anyway you will have a hard time getting people to replace them every few years. Turnover is the name of the game! It's the way of the world anymore. Don't get me started on the EPA!

• 18 years ago

I think there will be plenty of parts. Might be used parts, but plenty. Millions of machines left to part out, thousands of shops with excess parts being dumped on Ebay, and these things just dont break that often to the extent that you need a replacement part either. Service parts like spark plugs and air filters will always be avaliable. Hell you can still get parts for Maytag engines that have been extinct for decades.

• 17 years ago

Hello all. The Lawn-Boy web page has a picture and information on the latest Lawn-Boy Commercial Model 22270. The Lawn-Boy Commercial Model 22270 powered by the Honda GSV 190 engine. Orange colored steel wheels are standard.

Good day.