SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Virus, virus everywhere.

orchidnick
14 years ago

I don't want this to turn into another discussion of virus, we have had a thousand of these. I am facing a very specific situation and am searching for a very specific solution.

I met someone recently who spends $300 to $400 per month on beautifully arrange orchids, mostly Phaelies, and decorates her home with them. She does not have a contract to have it done professionally but does it herself. The plants are not returned to the grower but discarded by her after they finish blooming. She offered to save them for me and once a month I will pick up her discards. She is also one of these types who thinks she can save the planet by recycling every scrap of paper yet she and her husband are blatant over consumers and leave a mile wide carbon footprint. Tossing these plants has made her feel bad, I stoked the fire.

The plants apparently all come from the same source, a grower who decorates wealthy homes with orchid arrangements This is a large part of his business. One of their practices has been discussed at our society; not openly but privately. Apparently they cut off a major portion of the roots of large Phaelies in order to be able to stuff the plant into a smaller basket, 2, 3 or 4 of these then go into a larger decorative container to complete the arrangement.

This is done to many plants and sounds like a perfect way to spread virus. The plants at origin are healthy and reputed to be virus free but this careless shortening of their roots is of concern.

My dilemma is whether to take these plants in at all or, if I do, when to test them. If the cutting of some of the roots introduced virus, how soon would the plant test positive? I'm thinking of keeping these plants in a separate area of the greenhouse and carefully look at the first new leaf. If the new leaf looks anything but perfectly normal, testing it then should do the trick as by then the virus would have spread throughout the plant.

The grower has an excellent reputation for SELLING virus free plants therefore I see no point in testing the plants as I get them. I know they would be negative at that point, again the question is how soon would damage become apparent?

Nick

Comments (19)