SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

They weren't really barn dances

gandle
13 years ago

They may have been called that but they were usually held in the Turner hall in the little town we lived near. About the only music they played had bohemian origins and and all the musicians were Czech except Albert Schmidt who played the tuba. It was Mr. Ruzickas band, all five players. A trumpet, played by Mr. Ruzicka, an accordianist, a violin, a tuba and drums. Sometimes they actually played together and often it sounded like they were each playing a different tune with a different time signature but none of the dancers seem to mind. Most of the music were schottisches and polkas and once in a while unfortunately, they would try a popular song.

Grandma seemed to thinkthere was something slightly sinful about moving to music and wouldn't let me watch the revelery more than about 15 minutes but I envied the people that were having fun.

She also thought that regular playing cards were slightly sinful. Couldn't tell me why but cards like the game Authors and Rook were perfectly acceptable.

After she passed away and I went to live with my father and step-mother I was suprized to find the same band playing for dances in the little town were they lived. they had no restrictions about attending the dances and my sister tried to teach me to polka. I finally caught on and really enjoyed the festivities that were held monthly. Guess it wasn't too suprizing the they same band played at each place, the towns were only 10 miles apart.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions