SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adamm321

Losing a 20 yr battle with a weedy grass, any ideas?

AdamM321
18 years ago

Hi,

I am not sure what kind of grass it is. Quack grass is about as close as I have come to naming it. It has long white roots that if you don't get them all out when you weed it, it comes right back and spreads. I will think I have it out and then it is back again.

I tried pulling it out by hand. I tried one year to plant a cover crop to get it out. That helped but not as much as I thought. I gave up and left that area alone and just piled yard waste and branches and prunings up on it for years.

This year we were determined to reclaim that area for our use. It took days to clear it of all the yard debris. You wouldn't believe how many stacks of cut and tied bundles of branches we had. Took the town truck 20 minutes just to pick it all up into their truck. Then we pulled out by hand any grass that we saw growing.

There wasn't much growing then, so we thought we were home free. No such luck. 10 days after clearing it, the grass is popping up all over the place.

I am hoping for any other ideas to try to rid ourselves of this problem plant. I don't think pulling it all by hand is going to work. I think what is happening is that when we pull it, we can't get the whole root with it and it just sprouts from whereever it breaks off.

I am considering using a blow torch and burning it. Or covering the whole area with plastic and keeping it covered for 6 weeks. But this area is in the root zone of neighboring spruce trees and a London Plane tree, so I am not sure how solarizing that area will effect the trees or if that will do the trick.

I thought I would be planting shrubs in that area but now am held up dealing with this and have to hold over the plants until it is resolved. I really don't want to plant there and be struggling with grass that keeps choking everything out.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks,

Adam

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County