SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ccabal

SVB Battle Plan

Christian
11 years ago

Hi guys,

Earlier in spring I planted Acorn squash and got a few fruits before the vine died. Then I planted some yellow squash plants, and they all died, as I discovered, to Squash Vine Borers. Now I have read lots of stuff and am much more educated about the problem.

I am now trying to grow some pumpkins, and am afraid of losing them to the dreadful SVBs. I have 2 hills planted, about 8 total plants. They are still pretty small, about 8 inches tall.

Here is my plan:

1. Every day go out and pick off all the SVB eggs I can find. I've already picked off at least 30 eggs over the span of a week. If and when the plants get real big this might be quite a big job!

2. As the plant grows, pile up more dirt around the stem, to encourage more root growth.

3. Spray with NEEM oil. Just started to do that this week,and will do once a week. I read its supposed to build up in the plant and act like a systemic insecticide....anyone have much luck with this?

4. As the plants get bigger, monitor for holes with frass coming out. Then inject BT solution above the holes. I might just inject anyway periodically for good measure.

5. Go out at night and flash a light on the stem, and spot the worms, and stab them to death with a needle.

What do you guys think? Is this a good plan? Considering how many eggs I've found, my neighborhood seems infested with SVB!!!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations