SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

The only winning move is not to play the game.

orchidnick
15 years ago

How about a nice game of chess, Professor Faulkner?

This is how the movie War Games ended. I know the message well but failed miserably this weekend. 3 years or so ago I decided I really had enough orchids and stopped going to shows like Santa Barbara, San Diego, San Francisco and the LA shows as every show attended but a dent in the bank account and produced more plants for the backyard. Last July I went to Santa Barbara to get some pre-ordered Aussie Dends from DUNNO but kept my eyes on the ball. As soon as I got the plants it was straight to the car, don't stop at Andy's and all the others and straight back home. I was proud of myself.

This year same thing. Needed to pick up some pre-ordered AU Dends form DUNNO which I did Friday AM. Since it was early in the day I decided to go up the hill and visit Paul Gripp and James Rose at Santa Barbara Orchid Estates and Cal Orchids respectively. I think both knew that I was not on the usual shopping trip but before I knew it the "FOR EMPLOYEES ONLY" barriers were lifted and they showed me some neat stuff they were hiding from the public.

Before I got out of there my bank account took another major hit. This is a true addiction and one truly needs to simply stay away from the places of temptation. I have heard it so many times before, but this weekend really drove the message home.

I'm like a nearly recovered (AU Dends excepted) Alcoholic who needs to stay away from these situations. Failing to do so seems to always have the same result.

Nick

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths