SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
editoria

What games do you play?

Alisande
7 years ago

I get together with a group of friends a few times a year to play games. Right now, Cranium and Taboo are two favorites, joined last week by a simple game called 5-Second Rule. This was an impulse buy on my part on the way to our gathering. I'd read good reviews on Amazon and thought I'd give it a try.

It was a lot of fun, and an interesting experiment of sorts. A person is given 5 seconds to come up with three items that fit into a designated category. For instance, a card might say, "Name three state capitals." And then the timer begins. Easy, right? Not as easy as you think. Of course most of us know at least three state capitals, but with so little time to think, we discovered we don't.

All ten of us --three with Ph.D.s--were equally bad at the game. I, who ate regularly in NYC's House of Chan when I was a little girl and have been enjoying Chinese food ever since, couldn't come up with three Chinese dishes. Most of us could name two in most of the categories (except sports, which we gave up early on). And it was amusing to see what our brains came up with. When asked to name three brands of toothpaste, my first answer was Ipana. How long ago was that on the market? I hadn't thought of it for years.

I also play Scrabble once a week at the library, and Words With Friends and Scrabble online--on a limited basis because I do have a few other things to do.

What are you playing?

Comments (33)

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    7 years ago

I have no time or energy for games :) I used to play a few when I was much younger but other things keep me busy now. I thought by the time I reached my age I would have time for lots of other things, but that is not the case. Enjoy your games.

Sue

Alisande thanked Marilyn Sue McClintock
  • kathyg_in_mi
    7 years ago

Euchre and pinochle 3 times a week, each!

Alisande thanked kathyg_in_mi
  • Related Discussions

Do you play Pogo games? minimall checkout problem

Q

Comments (3)
    I would ask that question at the pogo forum. Here is a link that might be useful: games-forum.pogo
    ...See More

What games do you play?

Q

Comments (9)
    I have played this w/ family for years, we called it 10,000, thats what you have to get to win. All you need is 6 dice and a cup to shake and paper to keep score. I saw they sell in the stores now, Farkcle, or something like that. You can have as few as 2 or as many players as you want. Lots of fun. I found the instructions on-line: http://members.aol.com/dicetalk/rules/10000.txto find instrustions o To clarify: You need to decide to keep points or keep rolling. If you make a roll and don't get any (points)Pointers you loose all points. If you get 1,2,3,4,5,6 (in one roll) you get to keep those and roll all the dice again to keep getting points, even if you get nothing on the 2nd roll of all dice.. Ones and fives you can accumulate over a series of rolls. The three of a kind must be done in a single roll. If you have any questions I will try to answer them. There is something I'm forgetting, havn't played for a while.
    ...See More

Getting ready for weekly game day! Do you?

Q

Comments (12)
    I play bridge three Mondays of the month, two Tuesdays of the month and Mexican train twice a monthâ¦â¦they're all different groups of people. This month it's my turn to have Monday bridge and this particular group plays at 9:30 and then the hostess serves lunch. Usually 3 tables of duplicate but this month we only have 8 players so I won't even have to put a leaf in the dining room tableâ¦YEAH! In between, I play 18 holes of golf 3 days a weekâ¦â¦.77 and going strong!!
    ...See More

What Games Are YOU Playing.........

Q

Comments (30)
    Stone the Crows Thos pesky crows are bored of the corn fields and have found that nibbling on nice, tasty marijuana plants is rather fun. However, this isn't going down so well with Farmer Sue Tickle who is determined to stop these high fliers from getting high. Load up your rifle and head for the fields. As well as the bonged-out birds, take a pop at the Drugs Enforcement Officers (their heads only - they're wearing bullet-proof vests) and the dreaded crop sprayer plane. Here is a link that might be useful: Stone the Crows
    ...See More
  • Lily Spider
    7 years ago

I just put 5 second rule on my "Christmas ideas list". Our family likes games but sometimes my kids want to play games that take forever, like Monopoly. We play a lot of Uno at our house. Always a fun quick card game.

You guys might enjoy Spy Alley with your friends. You have to try and trick people into guessing what country you are a spy for. It's pretty fun :)

Alisande thanked Lily Spider
  • hooked123
    7 years ago

My daughter bought us, "Ticket to Ride". She told us that all of her college friends love it. We have had a blast! We like the European version, it's more complex than the U.S. version. Very fun, everyone loves it. Only 5 can play at a time.

Alisande thanked hooked123
  • share_oh
    7 years ago

My dh and I have several Words with Friends games going on at one time. Like playing Scrabble but something we can do throughout the day.

I have ordered a game called LOLZ... it comes with mouthpieces that hold your mouth open so your lips can't touch and your teammates have to guess what you're trying to say. The videos of it look hysterical. I'm hoping it's a big hit at Thanksgiving.

Alisande thanked share_oh
  • Cherryfizz
    7 years ago

I would love to play that 5 Second Rule game. I go with my childhood friend Vicki to her Mom's house every 2 weeks on a Friday afternoon and we play Canasta. I love that card game. Vicki lives in the County so she will pick her Mom and I up and we spend the day at her house and with her husband we play games like Rummikub, Sequence, dice, Uno haha Rummikub hurts my brain. Scrabble is my favourite game so I do play Words with Friends.

I make a run through some Facebook games at night before I go to bed like Klondike, Bejeweled Blitz every few months, Treasure Madness, Gardens of Time when I think of it. Dice with Friends. I also do jigsaw puzzles on Jigidi. I do the 400 plus ones so it may take me a few days to finish one. I do love playing board games and when I get the chance to babysit my 2 great nephews they ask me to bring some games over like Battleship, Snakes and Ladders and Sorry.

Alisande thanked Cherryfizz
  • Fun2BHere
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

5 Second Rule sounds sort of like Scattergories which we like. Our favorite, though, is Mindstein because there is an element of luck involved that helps even out the playing field so that the most knowledgeable person isn't always the one to win.

Alisande thanked Fun2BHere
  • eld6161
    7 years ago

Not at home, but a tradition at our holiday party is Right, Left, Center. It's a gambling game, so money involved. We use singles.

Alisande thanked eld6161
  • satine_gw
    7 years ago

I play each Friday night at the neighborhood clubhouse and the games vary. We play Tripoli, Sequence, Right left center, poker and most anything that someone brings along. Oh and we drink wine, too.

Alisande thanked satine_gw
  • moonie_57 (8 NC)
    7 years ago

We mostly play scrabble but occasionally play a golf video game. its a lot of fun, too.

Alisande thanked moonie_57 (8 NC)
  • marilyn_c
    7 years ago

The only games I play are on the computer...Jewel Quest sometimes, Spider Solitaire, regular Solitaire, Free Cell, and Mahjong. I used to play a little every night before going to bed but I have a hard time staying awake most evenings.

Alisande thanked marilyn_c
  • DawnInCal
    7 years ago

Years ago, I belonged to a Bunco group that got together once a month, but that came to an end when we moved.

A friend and I play a game where we write down the first line of a random song vertically down a piece of paper. Then we try to name as many famous names as we can think of that begin with each letter that goes down the page. Whoever comes up with the most names wins.

I also play an on-line slot machine game. There is no money involved; well there is, but it's fake. I have built my account up to over $13,000,000 in winnings! If only it worked out like that in real life!

Alisande thanked DawnInCal
  • Georgysmom
    7 years ago

On a regular basis, Bridge and Mexican Train.

Alisande thanked Georgysmom
  • Alisande
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all your good ideas! I bought Right, Left, Center recently to play as a family game, no money involved. I'm giving it as a gift along with a box of poker chips that have been in my family since before I was born.

I'd forgotten about Free Cell . . . my daughter Jill and I used to love that game. I should play it again.

Some of the games mentioned look like great fun but are out of my price range. Looking at 5 Second Rule on Amazon this morning, I see the price has taken a huge leap since I first saw it only a week or so ago. I love Amazon, but it has a habit of doing this. So I thought I'd mention that I bought it at Walmart for under $12.

• foggyj2
    7 years ago

Telestrations is a great game for over 4 people. Our grandchildren 7 & 10 play it with us, and our adult friends play it at parties. It's the best game we have.

Alisande thanked foggyj2
  • caseynfld
    7 years ago

We get together with friends every month or so to play card games. They all prefer card games whereas I would like to play trivia games. We usually play golf, wizard and sometimes rummoli, but not often. Other games we play are Sequence and Poker's Wild, those 2 are a combination of card and board game.

Alisande thanked caseynfld
  • lisaw2015 (ME)
    7 years ago

We play Bingo & Pie Face with the Grandkids & the ladies in my family regularly play Mania. Online, I do Mahjongg & Forty Thieves Solitaire.

Alisande thanked lisaw2015 (ME)
  • foggyj2
    7 years ago

It surprised me that, I struggled p[laying the 5-second game. You'd think after living this long, we'd be able to come up with answers fairly easily! Wrong. Thinking under pressure of the timer, was like a stopper on my brain! lol

Alisande thanked foggyj2
  • fran1523
    7 years ago

I play duplicate bridge twice a week and would play more if I had the time.

Alisande thanked fran1523
  • glenda_al
    7 years ago

Six of us play Mexican Train weekly at my place.

Alisande thanked glenda_al
  • socks
    7 years ago

No adult games, but recently I've enjoyed a game called "Hoot Owl Hoot" with my 5 and 6-year old grandkids. It's fun. What I like about it is that players aren't playing against each other. Rather it's a group effort to get the owls back to their nest before the sun comes up. There is a series of games on Amazon called Peaceable which uses this format. Some kids get upset when they don't win. I would recommend Hoot Owl for gifts.

Alisande thanked socks
  • lily316
    7 years ago

I love games but have no one to play with. I used to play with kids and grandkids but now they're too involved with their devices. More is the pity. I used to love Sorry. 5 second game sounds fun , but the older I get the less quick I am with answers.

Alisande thanked lily316
  • kittywhiskers
    7 years ago

For those that like Scrabble try Bananagram.

Alisande thanked kittywhiskers
  • Alisande
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lily, I would play with you too! Maybe you can find a source of games in your community. A venue in my area has Game Night once a month, attended by people of all ages. Some of the games look rather intense and seem to require a lot of thought (Pandemic is one), but I've played lighter games there with a friend. If you're close to my age you could probably find games at a local senior center.

You could also poll your friends to see if there's any interest. Who knows--some may be silently yearning for a fun game.

Fran, I was thinking about bridge recently. I haven't played since the 1960's, but I'd be willing to read up on it and see if I could join a group. However, I remember my husband was not thrilled with my bridge playing. He was a serious duplicate bridge player, and I like to chat while I play. Chances are the local groups would feel the same way my husband did about my playing style. LOL

Foggy, I looked up Telestrations, and it sounds like great fun. But I wonder if the two artists in my group would spoil some of the fun. They are very good. Playing Cranium on my team recently, one of them had to draw a saddle with her eyes closed. It was perfect.

Socks, thanks for the tip about Hoot Owl Hoot and Peaceable games!

• wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

I play Hand and Foot once a month. Another group I belong to often plays Left Right Center or Mexican Train at their gatherings. Sometimes we play card games also.

I've always like board games of all sorts. DH and I like to play Waterworks now and then. Friends that come over have enjoyed the game also.

Four year old grand daughter is just starting to get into children's board games. The other grandma and I do not let her cheat nor do we intentionally let her win. At first she protested a bit but now she likes being a big girl who plays by the rules. LOL

Alisande thanked wildchild2x2
  • lily316
    7 years ago

Does anyone remember the old Carol Burnett show where Eunice and mother would play Sorry? So funny. She'd get angry and tip the board. I was sorta like her and was deliberately picked on my family members.

Alisande thanked lily316
  • jemdandy
    7 years ago

I play chess, checkers, and a variety of parlor games such as "apples to apples", charades, guessing a word by drawing clues, etc.

When growing up, my mom and dad would not allow any gambling so would not allow a regular deck of cards in the house. They thought that a regular deck of cards encouraged sinning. However, one Christmas, they did get a Rook deck for family games. A Rook deck has 4 suits with cards numbered 1 through 15. I have forgotten if there were any wild cards - I think there were. All the games played with a regular deck with kings and queens can be played with the Rook deck; and we did LOL.

Alisande thanked jemdandy
  • Lily Spider
    7 years ago

So I ordered 5 second rule as a fun "family" Christmas gift. I bought it weeks ago when this thread popped up, and I quickly tucked it away without really looking at the box.

So folks, there is an adult version of this game and I bought it and almost gave it to my kids for Christmas!!

Luckily, I was just doing a gift inventory and realized my mistake. I will be returning this version for the more family friendly version!!

Happy Holidays!!

• Alisande
    Original Author
    7 years ago

LOL It pays to be observant, Lily--good thing you caught it! But now I'm wondering . . . just how uncensored is it? I'll have to investigate.

A few minutes later: Well, I investigated, and I think I'll stick with the original. :-)

• Lily Spider
    7 years ago

When I saw the ages 18 and over I knew I was in trouble. I am excited to play the family version with them. I think it's gonna be fun.

• Suzieque
    7 years ago

Has anyone tried Farkle? It's really fun. There is zero skill involved .... maybe a bit of strategy. It's all the luck of the dice.

• norsetex
    7 years ago

We play Farkle too Suzieque. Grandparents, kids and grandaughter. Can buy it at Barnes & Noble for under $10. It's a nice change from board and card games .

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths