SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
quinnfyre

Mounting Aerangis citrata, good or bad idea?

15 years ago

Very few of the orchids in my acrylic case are potted. One of them is Aerangis citrata. It was spiking, but the spike stalled. It's now growing multiple new roots. I'm considering mounting it, but I was wondering about the pros and cons. I know citrata has fine roots that don't like to dry out excessively. I'm mainly trying to decide if I want to repot it into a clear or net pot with bark, mount it, or leave it alone for now.

What I'm not liking about it being potted is that I can't see how the roots within are doing, and I have to be careful about how I water it. It's in a green plastic pot, in bark. The rest of my mounties get watered daily and appear to enjoy that. With citrata, I have to keep track of when I last watered it, to avoid either over or underwatering. I guess I'm not doing too badly, because the leaves that have grown since I put it in the case are clean and green and smooth, but I'm not doing perfectly, because that spike failed to mature.

Here's where it is right now: it's in my case, where the temps range between 70-75F, with the humidity ranging from 80-95%. There is a small fan that stays on 24/7 for circulation. Aerangis mystacidii is directly next to citrata, mounted, and is currently spiking, and the other Aerangis orchids in the case are growing new leaves and roots.

So, with all that in mind... good idea? Bad idea? If it ain't broke, don't fix it?

Thanks!

Comments (5)