SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulns

Sustainability notes

paulns
15 years ago

In a recent thread on sustainability Patrick posted information about urban agriculture in Cuba. I've done my own reading on this in the past, and often wondered why so much of the info dated back to 2003 or further. So I was pleased to read the 2007 year-end report from Oxfam Canada which features a current project, a particularly poignant one.

Cuba: organic farming improves lives

Organic farm on outskirts of Guantanamo provides livelihoods, nutrition and community pride.

Oxfam has helped the Cuban Association of Agriculture and Forestry Professionals (ACTAF) convert 13 hectares in the urban periphery surrounding Guantanamo into an organic, urban agriculture farm. 106 stable jobs were created - 51 of the workers are women. The majority live in the neighbourhood and their new union is now pushing for a day-care center for their kids.

âÂÂThe people like this work because itâÂÂs close to their homes. TheyâÂÂre better paid then in other jobs, they can buy affordable fruits and vegetables for their families and they feel theyâÂÂre doing something importantâÂÂ, said Oscar Borges, the Project Coordinator for ACTAF in the province. âÂÂFor us it has been a great experience to work with Oxfam because there was always dialogue, flexibility, comprehension and respect.âÂÂ

The fruits and vegetables are grown without any chemical inputs. Instead, the farmers produce their own fertilizer using organic compost and worms. They produce their plants in a new greenhouse. The project has contracts with government institutions to deliver produce to hospitals, child care centers and workplaces throughout the neighbourhood of 55,000 people. Their excess produce is sold to local people at affordable prices in a small shop on the farm and by bicycle around the community.

A class room has been built and equipped and is used for training farm workers as well as ACTAF members in the province. The project provided input and funds for a new edition of a technical manual for this kind of organic agriculture that will be used across the country.

(end of clip)

I also found this interesting site, Via Campesina, with this thought provoking comment by one Paul Nicholson at a VC conference: "Global markets will not feed the world. They are generating hunger at a time when there is no crisis of production."

Finally, here at home, we've created a second 4000 sq. ft garden out of a rocky patch of land by filling trenches with fish plant and other organic waste. This is a rocky part of the province with islands of good soil. I see huge potential for other people here becoming at least close to self-sufficient, as they once were. This area used to be a net food exporter before most farms were abandoned for jobs at a local mine, which closed ten years after it opened.

Here is a link that might be useful: via campesina

Comments (18)