SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mesquiteman

What would cause my zucchinni fruits to be deformed like this?

mesquiteman
10 years ago

Hello folks,

This is my first year gardening and a brand new garden location. I am full organic and am using semi-raised beds (5.5" tall with 2' into native soil). My soil is very rich, actually too rich according to my soil report but things are growing and producing well!

I have two Black Beauty zucchini plants that are huge and producing nice zucchini frequently. However, I also frequently get fruits that are like the one on the right. I have a drip system and think I am watering properly and I spray seaweed often. I also spray BT with the seaweed and have soaked the base of the zucchini plant and soil with spinosad to hopefully prevent the dreaded SVB. So far, I am having very little pest problems. I have found and killed 3 cucumber beetles and see and SVB moth that I killed. I also have some home made yellow tangle foot traps up that have not caught much of anything bad. Everything looks great and healthy and the squash grows fast.

We did get a 3.75" rain last weekend after the one on the right was half way ready. Could that have done it which may indicate I am not watering enough previously? I water 1.5 hours once a week and each plant has a 2 gallon per hour dripper at the base.

Any suggestions? The fruits taste just fine so it is not really an issue but, like many, I would like to grow pretty fruits as well!

Thanks for any and all replies and tips/suggestions!

Comments (8)