SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bella_trix_gw

mushroom compost or leaf compost?

bella_trix
16 years ago

I'm building the second half of my garden in raised beds and need help on topping off the last 1/3 to 1/2 of the beds. I already tilled in organic mushroom compost and leaf compost into my better-than-average clay soil. I wanted to use a mix of the organic mushroom compost and leaf compost to finish the beds, but I have concerns. The organic mushroom compost in not very well finished and is still a little hot. The leaf litter is nice, but has an odd sweet smell, almost like silage. The store also has very well composted, almost black, regular (non-organic) mushroom soil. Would I be better off using this or would it be contaminated with something nasty? Does anyone know what they treat regular mushroom soil with and how long it stays around? My garden's completely organic and working very well. I don't want to add something to these new beds that will cause me problems later on. What would you use if you had the choice of hot organic mushroom compost, sweet leaf compost or regular mushroom compost?

Thanks for any help!

Bellatrix

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths