SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

I hate all of God's little creatures.

orchidnick
10 years ago

I have a big Oncidium sphacellatum that was working on 5 spikes. Now it's working on 3 as 2 of them have been decapitated by some devilish fiend. At first I suspected snails and spead plenty of gourmet food for them around the GH. The next day the buds of a Maxillaria were no longer there. That's more than snails can do so I put out a rat trap and sure enough the next morning the little beast had gotten it's just reward.

I'm going to join PETA (People who Eat Tasty Animals) are rats tasty? I know chocolate covered grass hoppers are and so are snails, need to look into that some more.

I classify God's little creatures by the number of legs they have. None go with virus, bacteria, fungus snails and slugs. 2 belong to Homo Sapiens which occasionally can be a problem when my grand kids come around. No effective spray or traps for them. Never had a 3 legged demon but cats, dogs rats possums, squirrles and mice with their 4 legs do plenty of damage. Between poisons, traps etc one can keep a lid on them.

6 legs belong to insects, mites, aphids, grasshoppers, butterflies (they don't do any harm but they lay eggs) and ants. 8 legged spiders generally leave me alone, a few nets here and there, no biggie. Many legged caterpillars can do a lot of harm and are hard to find as they tend to hide during the day.

If intelligent design is the reason for the onslaught of monsters one has to wonder who is up there? A teenager going wild designing computer games? If evolution has something to do with it, I'm doing my part by killing as many of them as possible. Maybe they'll get the point and evolve into something which does not eat orchid spikes and buds.

Nick

Comments (54)

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County