SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

New garden, how much composted manure?

subk3
13 years ago

I've just finished construction (almost) and moved into a new house and have a spot for a small kitchen garden--2 16' x 6' areas on either side of a walkway--where I plan to plant vegetables and herbs as soon as next week if possible.

I've been hoarding my 4 horses' stall leavings for the last 2 years so I have quite the supply of composted horse manure. (The horses are healthy and not on a daily wormer, other feed supplements or medications that might compromise things.) I bed the stalls with wood pellets that break down very quickly and are also efficient in that you don't muck as much of the bedding out of the stalls when cleaning which makes for a higher ratio of manure to bedding matter than when you bed with say shavings or straw.

I do not consider myself an "active" composter, although I've turned all the piles with a front end loader every month or two. It has no smell and mostly has no visible "apples." It's rather lovely actually.

The garden area has been tilled and has a least 6"-10" of a processed top soil that we brought in and used when grading around the whole house. I still need to add some sort of soil matter to bring this area up another 4"-6" to be even with the sidewalk. SO...

Can I/should I add 6" of straight compost? Do I need to cut it with more soil? Do I till it in? What am I not considering here? In any application how do you know how much compost to use?

Comments (6)