SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
patty4150

Another reason to love organic methods!

patty4150
18 years ago

We have a postage stamp - sized back yard. Maybe twenty feet deep and eighty feet long. We have one tree that dominates one end of the yard - it hangs into the neighbor's yard, and over our roof (I have to trim it every year to keep the rats out of the attic.

Anyway, this tree has been attracting more birds every year - and this year I have been delighted to discover a robin's nest in it!!

I read a little bit about them, and how much these birds like worms, and it hit me like a ton of bricks --- that our compost bin, which I often leave open and is teeming with worms --- may be part of the reason we have the nesting robins!!

And as we have been organic in the back for a number of years now, I assume there are more worms in the yard itself.

The kids are loving it, and I am too - I grew up in the country and have often been sad that my children couldn't see all the wildlife that I was able to grow up with. A robin's nest (with egg) right outside goes a long way towards helping.

We've already enjoyed the butterflies and caterpillars that our practices have afforded, but this is the first time that we have seen organic gardening pay off in birds.

The back yard is now off limits to the kids. They discovered the nest and took a picture yesterday; and the parents of the egg have been sitting on it today, so no harm done. We can see the nest surreptitiously through the windows, and I am even asking around about webcams.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:139078}}

Comments (2)