SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Epsom salts -- can anyone verify

mehitabel
16 years ago

Hi, all. I used epsom salts (magnesium sulfate)and iron chelate for years for greening up gardenias, jasmines and tropicals. The hard water here seemed to deprive them of something over the winter. The effect of the epsom salts and iron chelate on them was almost immediate, and leaves were not only greener, but seemed to be thicker and sturdier as well.

I have read various places that growers give phals epsom salts when spiking to help them keep all their leaves. And various people who give orchids epsom salts in the fall.

This year, I had a number of smallish phal violacea hybrids, and the new leaf on these little plants often came in really delicate and tender. I didn't like that, seemed as tho it would make them too susceptible to crown rot, so I gave them a tiny dose of epsom salts, my old reliable.

I believe that the new leaves toughened up considerably after that. Anyone out there with experience or knowledge of plant chemistry to say "yay" or "nay" to this theory about magnesium sulfate toughening fragile new leaves?

Any experiences you can share about using this would be helpful and appreciated.

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville