SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybugfruit

Killing Hackberry Trees organically?

ladybugfruit
12 years ago

Ok, this is my last ditch posting here, before I fear, I will have to use the nasty chemicals. We've been in our home about a year and a half and the previous owners let hackberry trees come up everywhere and let them grow. I understand they do have some redeeming qualities, but last year I was literally digging up GROVES of them. I kid you not when I tell you I dug up probably at least 300 saplings. We had the big trees cut down and had the stumps ground as much as possible, but they were growing under the fence so it was impossible to get all of the stump. I have talked to an arborist that told me there was no way to kill them organically, but I don't know how well versed he was in organics to begin with, so here I am still trying to find a way to not use some nasty pesticide. I have tried drilling holes ( burned up 2 bits because the wood is so hard) and dumping salt and it's as though the stumps were laughing at me. I am at a loss but have to do something soon. I can't handle another year of them taking over my gardens and lawn. I have had the tree killer chems all winter and just can't bring myself to do it. Hoping someone here has a solution.

Thanks so much,

LBF

PS I have dug up as many of the roots as I can find as well, but of course, the trees grew where the power lines are buried and hackberry trees have roots that go to china, so....I am limited on how deep I can dig

Comments (16)