SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathyjane_gw

The Past Three Days

kathyjane
14 years ago

---have been spent on top of my tin roof, clearing off 2 to 3 1/2' of snow and ice. The warming weather has unleashed a torrent of falling water from the edges of the roofline, only to freeze at night, blocking doors and pathways through the snow.

Mounds of snow shoveled 'way back just before Christmas, if in the vicinity of the long roof line with jutting-out edges marking intersections here and there, are now ice mounds, held captive by 6 to 8" of glazed ice drizzled down from the top. I've shoveled out from underneath, hoping it will help speed up melting.

This is the strangest winter ever. One can almost shovel snow in one's sleep after so many weeks of rearranging it!

The lip of the roofline was a solid ice overhang, complete with 3 to 4' long icesicles. After clearing up to the icy edge, I'd wait a day for more melting, then pry up 3 to 7' long blocks of ice from the roof with a flat steel shovel and let 'em fall! I have huge rectangular chunks all poking up out of the snow, plus one monolith sticking straight up to 'Space Odessey; 2001'!

I want to hear how everyone else has coped with this mess---what have you had to do to try to make life as normal as possible under the extreme circumstances we've been living in?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions