SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
randall_n

Newbie books/resources for intensive/sqft raised beds

randall_n
11 years ago

So I've been doing this all wrong. Instead of starting with a detailed plan and knowing what I want, I'm just taking it one step at a time. Oh well, if my garden fails this year, my family won't starve. This is for learning. So here's what I've got so far:

Rich fluffy soil (w/homemade compost and vermicompost started last year) - check
Raised bed (8' x 4' x 16") - check
Sunny spot - check
Deer/bird netting - check
Rain barrels - check
Wishlist of awesome veggies to grow - check
Seeds and know-how to plant them - OOPS!

I'm getting a late start here in Durham, NC. People are already planting early season crops. I need to get this figured out pretty quickly. What I know is that with only 8'x4' to work with, I want to pack everything close together. Seems to me that French Intensive, Bio-Intensive, and Square Foot Gardening are all pretty similar, at least in that regard. So I want one of those methods, or something like them. And of course I want to do this 100% organic.

Beyond that, I'm lost. I need to pick varieties that grow well in my climate/soil, and know how to lay them out in the bed, when to plant each, how to best start the seeds etc. Can somebody point me to recommended resources to help me take it from here? Should I just get Mel Bartholomew's Square Foot book and do what it says? Or is there a better way?

Comment (1)