SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mike758_gw

Is cross-breeding even comparable to genetically modified?

mike758
10 years ago

My math teacher often goes on off topic rants about completely random stuff ranging from the best place to eat to politics. Of course he thinks he knows everything; he has one of those "I'm better than everybody" attitudes, but he's a good guy though. Half the time he usually had a good point, and the other half of the time he doesn't know what he's even talking about.

One of his latest rants was insulting people against genetically modified food. He says food has been genetically modified for thousands of years and most the food we eat now is genetically modified, so he doesn't get the argument against it. I believe he was talking about food that's cross-bred (or cross-pollinated, I don't know the correct term), because he brought up how Fuji apples are genetically modified and how most of our dogs are genetically modified. I know those were created by crossing two different apples/dogs, which may fit the description of genetically modified, but I don't even know.

But first of all, I want to know if cross-breeding (or cross pollinated, again I don't know which is correct) is even considered genetically modified? I also want to know if you can even compare that to our Monsanto GMOs, because he was basically saying that's all it is. I personally believe he was wrong but I want to clarify.

Comments (32)