SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claire1_2008

Another eBay Experience

claire1_2008
15 years ago

I know we've all seen postings about an experience with eBay orchid purchases from time to time and here's another one. I found an eBay posting for a fragrant Stan that I fell in love with. (Stanhopea tigrina). I sent an email to the seller to ask about it's care. It was shown in a plastic pot but everything I know about them states that they need a basket. I received a quick reply confirming that it is a blooming size orchid (in a 3in pot) and it does need to go into a 6 in basket. I purchased (Buy Now) the orchid on Dec 18th with Pay Pal. The seller ships USPS. No upgrade shipping options offered.

I ordered the basket and a Paph from Orchids Limited the next day. Orchids Limited shipping Fed Ex 2nd day. I immediately get an email from Orchids Limited stating they will not ship the order until after the holiday due to the unpredictability of holiday shipping.

My eBay seller ships my Stan on Dec 22 via USPS. It arrives in Dallas on Dec 26. My overworked postman doesn't leave a notice in my box so I start tracking it on Dec 29. I take the printout of the tracking info to the post office on Dec 30 and they find it in the back. Out of 18 PSBs only 2 of them are still viable. (Not sure for how long though) I started soaking the plant and than emailed the seller for information on returns/refunds. This seller doesn't offer either. They said they shipped quite a few orchids on Dec 22 and most arrived by Dec 24. It isn't their fault that it took so long for mine to get to Dallas and that I wasn't given notice that it had arrived. I replied that the USPS is the preferred shipper they chose for their business. They don't offer shipping upgrades and they did choose to ship a fragile orchid during the worst shipping week of the year. They gave me a 15% refund. ($30.00 order - $3.30)

I am now disputing the transaction with Pay Pal. Seller still sees nothing wrong with this transaction. One day later, Dec 31, my orchid and basket arrived from Orchid Limited. It arrived in perfect condition. It was packaged extremely well, including Styrofoam inserts and a heat pack that was protected from the wrapped orchid by a good layer of peanuts. I've paid a lot more than $30.00 for an on line orchid purchase and more often than not I get a good looking plant. The exception is eBay. The prices tend to be cheaper but it's more of a gamble. I don't order orchids from eBay too often but in the last couple of years I would say that at least 1/3 of the time they are not in good shape/health or as described. (seedlings) . I've ordered from Orchid Limited, Hausermann, Santa Barbara Orchid Estates with no regrets. The first two have delayed orders during holidays and/or inclimate weather. (A good sign that they respect their plants and their customers.) I've used other online growers/distributors on impulse and some are better than others. But for consistent quality and customer service I would recommend sticking to those that you know and trust. They may be a bit more expensive but you're never disappointed.

Comments (3)