SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

It's Free, It's Fun and It Helps our Feathered Friends

calliope
15 years ago

I've mentioned before that my DH and I participate in Project Feeder Watch, to count birds at our feeders for about three months out of the year. We also keep daily logs of the numbers and species to our database.

Coming up soon is something anyone can participate in, and it's free. That is the Great Backyard Birdcount. You do not have to be any kind of birding expert to participate, and you do not have to spend a cent. It's something you can do with the kids, or by yourself with a cup of your fav warm beverage from your kitchen window. It lasts three or four days, but your minimum time obligation is fifteen minutes.

The data is accumulated over the entire continent from countless volunteers, and is crunched by Cornell University to get a 'snapshot' of bird activity in one particular timeframe. It helps to determine what species are where, when they start migrating, their food status, how they are reacting to weather, whether they are venturing out of their normal habitat for this time of year. IOW, really important data and it helps conservation efforts. Check it out, please. Oh, and it's fun and you're bound to learn something.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Backyard Bird Count

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz
More Discussions