SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Just stuff-quite long

gandle
17 years ago

Oven on our gas kitchen range quit working and knowing that if we have a repair person come out and fix it it would probably run into hundreds of dollars, I called around to find a shop with an igniter that I could buy, found one in North Platte and got it for only $35:00.

I almost never use foul language but before I got that d-mn igniter replaced I confess I just about used up my complete repertoire of cuss words. Seems ironic that about the only other time I have to fall back on strong language is working with Christmas lights, that'll do it.

To replace the igniter you have to lay on the floor and dismantle the oven and I really mean dismantle it. You have pieces of enameled sheet metal and lots of other things with no name lying everywhere. Anyway, now it works and if it ever happens again I'll happily pay the repair person to fix it.

While I was working on the stove I remembered when dad and stepmother decided to change from a wood and coal burning kitchen stove in winter and kerosene stove in summer to a Skelgas range. Quite exciting, sis and I had been listening to Captain Midnight, sponsered by Skelgas, on the radio and had a secret code ring and other things we got from sending in to the program. As I remember, dad had to sign us up at the local Skelly gas station when he filled the car.

Skelgas was or is propane, don't think it is around here anymore at least in that brand and it was exciting watching the man run a pipe through the wall and erect an small metal leanto shed next to the house for the propane tanks. Remember they got a premium of a lot of dinnerware pieces when they bought the stove. Thinking back on it seems that they were kind of an ugly purple or pink but perhaps memory is playing a trick on me. We thought that they were great at the time. Whoa, even the name of the dinnerware pattern is trying to get through, it was a Spanish city name, Seville, Malaga, Cordoba no don't think those were right.

Step mother was thrilled with the new appliance, great even cooking in the oven without having to guess at the temperature. You had to strike a match first, put it next to the burner and slowly turn it on. For the oven there was a place right in the bottom front that you lit and could watch the flame spread over the bottom burners. Dad always maintained that fried chicken always tasted better cooked on the old wood range. Doubt that that was true but every time we had chicken it was mentioned.

In winter though, we missed the warmth and comfort of the huge old wood stove, sometimes stepmother would light the oven on the Skelgas stove and open the oven door and close the pocket door between the kitchen and dining room and warm up the room that way. Probably wasn't a good idea but we made it through regardless.

Wish I had saved some of those old premiums that sis and I got through the old radio programs we listened to such as Little Orphan Annie, Jack Armstrong-All American Boy and another one or two I can't remember. Perhaps one of those secret decoder rings would help me figure out whats going on sometimes.

I hasn't intended to write a historical novel but so be it.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions