SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenclaws

Help, I got an orchid for Christmas and.....

....I've never grown one before, well not sucessfully anyway.

Hi, not my usual forum but 'hello' and I hope you can advise me. I have only ever had one orchid several years ago, a Cymbidium. I was never able to get it to re-flower and eventually I lost it, hopefully I will be able to grow this better with some help.

I was given this lovely Phalaenopsis and read on the tag it needs temps of 15c/60f minimum. However, my issue is I will struggle to keep it at that temp constantly. There will be a wide variation in its surrounding temp. The room it will be in is not heated all the time during the day, especially weekdays, (none of our house is, its too darned expensive here!) just mainly from late afternoon onwards when it gets warmer than the temps mentioned above. At night the temp drops significantly. If I am in then the fire may well be on, but its not guaranteed. I keep it in a south facing window during the day but in the UK we dont get much light during winter, the sun is weak and today for instance its thick with freezing fog. I move it onto a table come evening when the curtains are drawn. The window and table are in a cooler part of the room so when the fire and radiators are on it shouldnt be as hot and stuffy, which the tag also says to avoid. Will these up and down temps affect it? It won't be in any draughts. I guess I also need a special orchid fertiliser too which shouldn't be a problem once I get to the shops. I am concerned my gift will struggle and I don't want it too. Thanks in advance.

Gill.

{{gwi:139212}}

Comments (8)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm