SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardeningmary

Our trip to the Big Island of Hawaii

gardeningmary
18 years ago

Aloha

{{gwi:150025}}

As we approached the island I looked out of the plane window see a pod of whales hugging the shore line, breaching and spouting water. I knew it was going to be a magical place. The hotel was lovely with an open island feel. A series of connected pools with wateralls, jacuzzis, and a huge waterslide were a dream come true for the children.

{{gwi:150027}}

Here was one of my favorite views!

{{gwi:150028}}

The hotel had worked with marine biologists using lights to attract Mantra Rays and at night you could watch the huge creatures come to feed on the brine shrimp.

In addition to the fantastic snorkelling, Annie and David had introduction Scuba lessons. They said being able to breath underwater was a real thrill. I found flapping about on the surface more my speed!

{{gwi:150029}}

At the weekend we drove from the sunny, dry side of the Island to the lush, rainy east. We spent the night in a little cottage in the rain forest surrounded by the sounds of birds and the jungle.

{{gwi:150030}}

Here are the lovely Akaka falls

{{gwi:150032}}

The Hawaiian Tropical Gardens were out of this world. The lush growth and unusual blooms were spectacular. The orchid gals would have gone crazy!

{{gwi:150033}}

{{gwi:150034}}

{{gwi:150035}}

{{gwi:150036}}

{{gwi:150037}}

{{gwi:150038}}

David was fascinated by the Heliconia Longissima.

The following day we spent at Volcano National Park - an amazing place. Here are a pair of endangered Nene, the Hawaiin goose on the edge of a Kilauea crater. The steam vents are an indication the Volcano is far from extinct.

{{gwi:150039}}

We hiked along the shore where from a distance you could see lava entering the ocean forming the large plume of steam. We stayed till dark to see the lava glowing red - what an experience!

{{gwi:150040}}

Back at the hotel we spent the rest of the week exploring beaches, historic sites, coffee farms and orchid growers.

We enjoyed all variety of local fruit from a nearby fruit stand. One of our favorites were Rhambutan - inside the lovely exterior is a delicous fleshy interior surrounding two large pips - yummy!

{{gwi:150041}}

Just a little taste of all we experienced but I'll end here before the thread becomes too cumbersome.

Mary

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus