SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilod_gw

Recycling is better than a landfill, but how green is it?

lilod
16 years ago

Even in our rural community we have the great blue recycling containers, picked up every two weeks, no need to sort material, it all goes into the bin. We like it and have reduced our contribution to the landfill tremendously.

Our regional paper did a write-up telling us what happens to the material: it is taken to a sorting station, all the items are separated and all plastic and all corrugated cardboard is bundled, put into cargo containers and is shipped to China to be made into all sorts of products, which are then shipped back to the US and other world-markets. That's a big carbon footprint!

Rubbish is transported to a transfer station and shipped to a landfill far away - so at least the recycled stuff is made into something useful - but I would not exactly call that green.

My personal action is not to buy many over-wrapped items, re-use whatever I can and, now that it is winter and I use the wood-stove, to burn cardboard (as kindling) and toss most paper-items into the stove, at least I can keep it local.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional
More Discussions