SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bugfood

Friday the 13th came on the 22nd

bugfood
14 years ago

The day started normally at the usual 4:30 AM as it has for nearly 50 years. Farm kid back then, rarely mow the roof these days but ingrained habits tend to stick. Turned on the teapot and the computer, picked up my latest book and headed to the reading room, got done, turned around to flush and the left lens from my specs fell into the throne.

Bleach is my friend.

The weather has been peculiar, not particularly unusual, just peculiar. Dropped down to +9 a bit ago, then rained endlessly, did it again 3 days ago. The roof of this 30 year old earth shelter leaks a bit. Just enough to cause me to mop the floor which I would not do otherwise and trust me, a 60 year old solo male does not mop floors. Got wet socks on the way to the loo.

'puter booted up wierd. No highlight, copy, and paste. 'sOK, I can work with keyboard commands. Did my first 4 pages, saved to CD due to when the 'puter glitches, it's apt to 86 hard disk storage. Been there more than once.

Finished other morning chores, had lunch which consisted of ramen and canned peas. Grocery shopping w/o Nina is a pain. I'm probably one of the few males that truly LOVED shopping with my wife! ....stories, got lots. Bronx Italians DO talk with their hands! 8 ; ) Sunday afternoon is the best time, all of us > 50 do it and her pointing and smiles with the enthusiasm of everyone from grandkids, floorwalkers ( Super WallyWorld), granddpappa in the wheelchair, most everybody ..it could get pretty Michael Jackson "Killer" pretty quick! I LOVED IT!

Since the pantry was pretty-much empty, elected to go do some minor shopping. It has been over a month and the usual 3-4 month reasonable supply got diminished during the TROUBLES. Pre-flighted the old Plymouth, it cranked up fine, headed out and got within 3 miles of the city limits when it turned itself off. Not good. Did I mention I'm somewhat crippled? Comes with time and trust me children, all those physical insults from the past come home to roost eventually.

Long walk home. Hitch-hiking is something from the past. I've hitch-hiked a lot in the past as a starving student, also across one country (NZ). Those daze are over. A scrawny, white-haired old man with a cane isn't going to get much in the way of rides. Got one, a grandmother with 2 grandaughters and I was to knock on the window when she got to where I was to renew my walk. Truck bed of course. Saved me one and one-half miles. Better than nothing. Only a mile and a half to go.

Obviously I made it. My friends? No cell phone plus no reason for one. I buried 3 friends in 5 months. I've buried more than 12 good friends in the recent past. I've only 2 really good ones, one is 68, retired Army Ranger, the other is 21, 240 miles away and soon to be a first-time daddy! She's a true sweetie! Living solo really does suck.

There are only 2 things important in life. Forget Tom T. Hall, with his excellent song, "Faster Horses", forget most friendly country pop, Robert Heinlein, Aldous Huxley (he DID have a valid premis), and, and, and..

1) a unconditional love

2) close air support

To finish this day, I limped back into the old leaky house (door wide open) and sat. It was so nice to sit. The temp was dropping, ~45 or so tonight, rather nice, and a hover bird (Carolina wren) was in front of the front door. It vanished upwards and I stirred my old bones to see where it went. To a Virginia Creeper vine over the door. I looked up.

It shat on me.

My day is complete.

Comments (34)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz
More Discussions