SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
3r3o3b

MLK day--Let us remember Dr. King

rob333 (zone 7b)
14 years ago

I hear something new every year when I listen to his "I Have a Dream" speech. Today was:

"But there is something that I must say to my people who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice. In the process of gaining our rightful place we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred. We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force. The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny. And they have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom."

I'd like to think that I have come from the stock that realized, early on, that their destiny was/is tied up with all on this planet, regardless of the color of skin. I see with my eyes, and feel with my heart they believe it. I know that I truly believe and live that in my own life. I feel blessed to have never seen discrimination emulated. I hope the Reverend can look down and see that so much of his work has come to fruition in so many good ways. He was a man who knew.

May discrimination in every form die forever. Let freedom ring!

Here is a link that might be useful: full speech

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions