SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
agnespuffin

I know it's not like it used to be, BUT----

agnespuffin
15 years ago

Grandson recently celebrated his 18th birthday.

We gave him a check.

Bank statement came.

Check hadn't been cashed.

Did he lose it?

Asked his father.

It seems that somewhere along the line, he had never learned how checks were to be cashed. He had no idea what he was supposed to do with it. His private school education hadn't supplied the answer either.

I guess with all the credit cards, gift cards, etc. the usual use of checks to give money is an old timey thing.

Times change!

Comments (22)

• mawheel
    15 years ago

My dear ones know how to cash the checks we've sent for birthdays; my frustration lies in getting them to cash them! They say they know they'll just "fritter it away" once the money is in hand. But I want to clear the check book, so after awhile, I start to bug them. :>)

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

Isn't that weird?! I guess the schools don't teach how to balance a checkbook, either. No wonder so many folks can't balance a budget.

I used to give silver dollars, one for each year of age. And made sure they understood that they could keep the pretty thing, or spend it, or put it into a savings account and let it make money for them.

• Related Discussions

I know its early to think of freezes but.....

Q

Comments (10)
    Jstropic, my DH used 1/2" conduit(sp?)Pipe and PVC for sprinklers that we bought at H.Depot, and cut it with a hacksaw. I cleared all the mulch off during the day to catch as much sun on the soil, I wrapped the lights on the highest part of the trunk, and laid the rest of the Xmas lights on the ground, covered it up around 5-6 pm and turned the lights on around 7 pm and didn't turn it off till the outside temps got above 40 degrees. I was also lucky enough to get some of these plastic Xmas light stakes that were clearanced at Wmart, that I used to tack down the frost cloth, since it was windy that night. Main thing was to keep the heat from the lights inside. Make sure the cover goes all the way to the ground to retain the heat. I ordered my frost cloth online, since the stores here only carried the very light weight ones. I bought the medium grade, I think it is 1.5 Oz. It came in 12'x50', you can cut to size. I'm sure there are others out there that are just as good, and come in different sizes. You are lucky though since you are in zone 10, you should be a little warmer than me. I live 2 hours south of Orlando. It is a lot of work, but for me I love Mangos and lychees, so I really wanted these trees to survive so it was well worth the extra work...
    ...See More

Steve-o I know I am being lazy but...

Q

Comments (1)
    Yes, you can. You'll need a cable that goes from the iPod's headphone jack to a pair of male RCA connectors for the back of the Bose.
    ...See More

I like this ....but don't know what it is! Help educate me. :)

Q

Comments (11)
    Well, you could buy a black hinge at the hardware store, and use one half of it mounted to a wall or trim, to install the sconce piece and use it for a candle or plant. I had something like that in brass, that was used as a wall mounted soap dish over a sink in an apartment I rented in a Victorian house. All there was, was a pedastal sink with no place to put a bar of soap down and all the wall mounted soap dishes I could find in the stores were too modern, ugly and cheap looking. This thing worked great.
    ...See More

I know I am being a fuddy-duddy, but.....

Q

Comments (32)
    I really don't care what anyone wears, I care about their actions,not their clothes. Have to admit I have chuckle most at how women dress these days. Since when did high-lighting fat become a fashion trend? I was at a luncheon the other day where one lady (around my age -60)showed up wearing a stretchy glittery red sweater that showed every fat cell on her torso, a short pleated skirt that looked like a skating skirt from the 60's and black tights and ankle boots. Believe me she would have looked far better in torn jeans and a loose top that didn't show all. It was hard for me not to stare and I know this gal. Then there are the older fat women with cleavage and crepe like skin. But even though they look silly to me I don't care as long as they are good people. I remember back in the 90's DS had friends that wore nothing but surplus cargo pants. No matter where they went. Turned out several were extremely wealthy dot commers who hit the boom. The guy in the suit? He worked retail at barely above minimum wage. Don't judge a book by it's cover. The only clothing I am really bothered by are when mothers treat their little children like dress up dolls, dressing them up, fussing with their hair, painting their nails etc. I feel sorry for those kids. I am not talking about special occasions but the constant fussing. It especially annoys me to see little girls dressed in ways that don't allow them the freedom to run,play and climb. I find it very sad and I wonder what this generation of fussed over tutued little (at least the ones who won't have the sense to rebel later) will grow up to be.
    ...See More
  • User
    15 years ago

The banks seem to want to get rid of checks. I have taken checks to the bank it was written on to cash and they have charged me $5.00 to cash the check. They come up with new ways to take money from us even if we don't do business there.

• andie_rathbone
    15 years ago

I've never had my bank charge me to cash checks, but if they're over 6 months old, there's a good probability that the bank won't honor them.

I was never taught in school how to balance a checking account. My dad taught me how to do that when I was going off to college & got my first checkbook.

In these days of debit cards, ATM cards & electronic banking, checks are becoming less & less common. I know I sure write fewer & few of them.

• coconut_nj
    15 years ago

It does seem rather incredible not to learn such useful skills as cashing Grandparents checks. Smiles. When I think back, I guess I did learn to do such things in buisness courses. I guess they didn't think the college bound needed such mundane stuff. Of course maybe in this day and age the direct deposit will take care of payroll checks and online banking pays bills. Hmmm,, maybe checks are going out. But if you send me a check Puffy, I'll know how to take care of it.

Ot but this reminds me. I'm still waiting to hear if one of my nieces received her wedding gift. It's a year and a half later and I just got a birth notice for their first child. What do you want to bet when/if I send a gift it won't be acknowledged? It's not like you need the credit for sending a gift but it's rather like sending the check. You wonder for quite a while if they received it.

• weebus
    15 years ago

I am one of those who doesn't write checks too often; one a month. I hate to admit it, but when I get in line behind someone who is writing a check it drives me crazy because it takes so long for the cashier to validate it. Debit cards are safer and were invented for a reason. My grouchy two cents.

• mwoods
    15 years ago

weebus,with debit cards,if someone somehow gets into your account,the bank won't cover any of your loss,as they do with credit cards. Is this info still correct,or am I wrong?

• calliope
    15 years ago

It used to bug my poor parents to death when they'd write checks to their g'kids and then see it was still uncashed when they'd balance their checkbooks.......month after month. Then they'd ask me to remind the kids (adults, not under my control at home) so that they could 1) reconcile their accounts and 2) be sure the check didn't get so old it wouldn't be honored. I told them to let the check get outdated, and let them suffer the consequences and I'd bet the next time they'd cash it promptly. LOL.

What it leaves in the mind of the giver, however, is that perhaps the recipient didn't find it acceptable, if it wasn't worth the trouble of even cashing. So, in that respect not only is it rude if there is not thanks, it's also rude because it implies the recipient doesn't value it. Now, most children do not have checking accounts, and many banks won't cash them for free if you don't have an account in the recipient's name at the bank, so I also encouraged anyone giving a child money, to please give it in cash.

Andie, my father had to teach me how to write a check, too. It was the first day at university, and they sent me to school with the CASH. LOL. The bursar wouldn't accept cash, and people didn't carry credit cards then like they do now. So, I opened my first checking account the first day at school. Yes, I think that paper checks will become defunct, as the elderly are passing away. They may still exist for awhile, but they won't be mainstream and prolly will be charged for heavily for the handling. I foresee the day, God Forbid, when we are all sporting implanted microchips and just scan our arms over the register and all purchases and savings go into one giant database, as well as all income. I hope I am history by that point.

I really don't expect a written note from my g'kids or kids (or other close relatives) for presents given to them in person. A sincere thank-you is enough. But, for all other gifts sent by mail, left a third party for distribution, weddings and other events of special importance........I'd better get some sort of acknowledgement. Even if it's an email, or request to have someone else tell me it was received. It's hopelessly rude not to do it, and is also negligent for an adult not to teach their children how to do it and insist on them carrying through. If you have to, refuse to let the child even use it, until this is done. I don't think this is at all an antiquated ritual. No gift, under any circumstances is an obligation, nor should any be automatically expected. It should always be treated as something special.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

I get checks once a year from my mom and twice a month otherwise. And the bank hassles me so badly, I cringe to go and cash them. Every-single-freakin'-time they tell me, "go to the bank it's drawn on" as though it's right next door, not to mention how they'll fingerprint you! (which I find completely objectionable, after all, I've done nothing to warrant it, it is an invasion of my privacy, and it's just one step away from collecting DNA to keep on file "as needed"), and then come back to their bank to deposit the cash. Um no. And if I don't want to do that, they get to hold it. Got a check December 19th on a legitimate bank, which is not only known locally, but nationally, and they held it until the 31st. Anyone else find 12 days exorbitant?! I'm never overdrawn and have all of my accounts with them. My paycheck is directly deposited there. I was livid!!!! The teller asked me if I wanted to take it back and I said, "No, I have no choice but to deposit it and leave it." What about that sounds like I wanted it back? She, however, proceeded to cancel the deposit because she thought she'd run me off. I later asked the person to give me cash or a money order from now on. Die checks die! I was tempted when I deposited cash this weekend to ask if they were going to hold it for two weeks while they ran tests on the bills. And the sad part is, all banks are abusive, no way around them.

Ok, rant over. Shame on anyone who doesn't cash their checks or acknowledge your gifts, you deserve better.

• calliope
    15 years ago

Well, we live in the sticks, and I'd never even heard of fingerprinting to cash a check until I read it here. With our home-town banks falling like flies and being bought out by the national ones, I expect that'll be down the line. I've been fingerprinted for employment reasons, in some sensitive jobs, but I don't think I'd appreciate having it done to cash a check. Our local banks don't even ask us to go cash checks on the bank from which they're drawn, but may charge you a fee if you try to cash a check when you don't have an account with them. They also seem to clear deposited checks quickly. I guess I should be consider myself very lucky. They have raised all sorts of fees to ridiculous amounts, but mostly they're penalty fees for missing payments or overdrawing, so responsible customers don't often have to pay them. Do you ever feel like you've awakened to find yourself living in Russia?

• agnespuffin
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I can remember that we were taught how to make out a check in elementary school. The teacher had made up some fakes on the Ditto machine. Then we had to learn how to fill in the blanks. I think I had my first checking account when I was 14. I thought I was hot stuff....money in THE BANK!

I don't like the idea of debit cards. Our SS checks are direct deposit. We write one check per month for our spending money. Everything else, groceries, gas, etc goes on one credit card. But I think I want that cash in my pocket without having to hit an ATM machine. But it may come to that. LOL

• meldy_nva
    15 years ago

Well, a word here in praise of my local Credit Union. Lovely folks to deal with, interest paid on checking accounts and a higher rate on savings and a higher yet rate on money markets/CDs ~~ they are competitive and in some instances much better than any of the many local banks. FDIC insured. Yes, I write checks, and they are accounted for immediately; I deposit checks, and those are also dealt with at once. I don't get the cancelled paper checks back, and frankly -- I don't want them. If I must, I can get a copy... in 20 years, I've never needed one. They don't hand out cash over the counter but they do sponsor a free debit card and have an ATM in the lobby. Now all this good stuff may be because I'm a school employee and it's a school credit union, but I've dealt with other credit unions [other companies] in the past, and they too were exceptionally businesslike, efficient, and pleasant. Why do business with badly managed banks (I'm still grrrring over the bail-out), when I can do business with a good place?!

• lilod
    15 years ago

I think I live in a time-warp, or in a backwards place.
    My local bank is the only branch of a small bank, headquarters 22 miles away. All the employees know you by name or at least by sight. Cashing checks is no problem, though out of area checks will be held until cleared, makes sense.
    The bank does not issue credit- or debit cards and has no ATM, but I can go in and draw a check for cash on my account if I want to (and have money, LOL).
    They have a night-deposit box and have a drive through window, if you have a dog in the car, you get a treat for your dog.
    Before Christmas they have an open house reception, serving punch and cookies. It all is really old-fashioned, but what's not to like?

• Janis_G
    15 years ago

I just finished a survey about my bank, Wachovia, I suspect
    since it has been acquired by Wells Fargo they were trying
    to figure out what to do with the employees or whether to
    do away with some of the branches.

I happen to like my bank. It has served me well and any time I've needed help with anything, they've been there.

I drive up to a window and they recognize me and ask how things are going. Shoot, they even know my dog.
    Time will tell if the new owners will change things.
    I hope not.

I have never been fingerprinted, however, I probably would
    if I cashed a check at a bank where I didn't have an account.

Times are changing and perhaps in the near future checks,
    debit and credit cards will be seen only in a museum.
    In the meantime, I hope my bank will stay as is, I kind of like it the way it is.

• tibs
    15 years ago

DS has a checking account with one of the largest banks in the country. He got a debit card and checks. He NEVER writes checks, always uses debit card. So when he went to college he left check book at home. He lives in one of the four states in the country that does not have this bank. None of the banks in that state are in our state. So, he would send me his paychecks from his job on campus (paid monthly) to deposit in his account back home. Then the last time I went to do this the bank told me I need his account number?! Fortunately my husband had it for some reason. Then, DS was paying his tuition for the first time directly from his account and realized he could not do it by debit card, (Too big of amount, he can only use the debit for $400/day. I had to overnight his check book. This cost me $17.00.

I collected payment for a school fundraiser for dd. One of the checks bounced. I was charged $15 and had to cover the check amount. If I wanted my money I had to go after the check bouncer(who just happens to be related to dh.) I couldn't do it. Didn't have the guts, and didn't want to embarass them. They are always living on the edge, mainly because they do stupid things, but still, couldn't do it. They had to know it bounced. It had to come back insufficient funds. Now I know why some small businesses won't accept checks.

I had already paid for another student's share because dd told me her single parent had just lost job. Very expensive fundraiser for us.

• mwoods
    15 years ago

not so backwards Lilo,its pretty much the same here other than our bank knowing us by name. We live in the country but the bank chain is everywhere including Philly. We cash checks and deposit checks all the time and of course they have to clear. There's never been a problem. I use their ATM, and I when I drive through to cash a check I get a doggy biscuit too. Well on a good hair day I guess it's probably for the dog. LOL We don't use Debit cards...they can be risky and like Agnes,charge everything. My Visa gives me 5 percent off of all groceries,gasoline and drug store items and 1 percent off everything else. I feel badly for those who have such poorly run banks...especially in the customer relations end of it.

• blueheron
    15 years ago

A good friend had a booth at an large antiques mall where she sold Stangl and Franciscan dishes. One time two guys from NC bought lots of dishes and paid with a personal check. They showed their driver's license for ID.

Well, wouldn't you know, the check bounced, the bank account had been closed, etc. She could never get the authorities interested in pursuing the case because the perps were from NC and the theft took place in PA. Neither state wanted to get involved.

Now I know why when we would go to public auctions, they always had a sign, "No out of state checks."

• andie_rathbone
    15 years ago

I first saw the finger printing thing here about 10 years ago when I first moved to Texas. When I asked, I was told it was for workers (mainly Mexicans here) who came in to cash their paychecks & didn't have accounts at the bank. So read into that what you will.

I bank at a branch of a mega national bank, but have never been finger-printed for cashing or depositing an out-of-state check. What bothers me is that banks still give you that old b.s. line about waiting -10 days for a check to clear. I finally asked the teller if she thought I fell off the turnip truck last night. Banks now do electronic funds transfers on all transactions, so the longest you should have to wait for a check to clear is 24 hours. And if you've got enough money to cover the face value of the check in your account, they should cash it immediately.

Call the banks on this garbage. In these troubled times, they're not as omnipotent as one may think.

• sheila
    15 years ago

My bank doesn't charge me to get cash for a check I'm depositing. They know who I am, they greet me by name in a warm manner and if I need a deposited check to clear quickly I ask and the teller will usually make some notation so that it gets expedited in some fashion.

However, I do know that if I don't do that it will sit, uncleared, for up to ten days. I rarely get given checks to cash, I'm usually writing them :)

• lilod
    15 years ago

A bit OT, but try the reverse, deposit a large amount of cash to your bank. This was 18 years ago,after my DH passed away and wanted a small car, selling the mini-van at the offered trade-in price to a friend, who paid $6000.00 in hundred dollar bills. At the time I had an account at a large S&L and deposited the money, and the teller went and smelled the money!
    Believe it was because of the large amount of money around derived from cannabis deals, they were checking for the "skunky" smell.
    I don't think one could get away with having this much cash to deposit now, things have gotten much more paranoid.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    15 years ago

OK, so apparently I'm out of step with the majority here . . . but:

checks????? What are they?????

I think I last wrote one about two years ago. Having come fresh from UK banking, 12 years ago, I was horrified to find I had to write checks for every bill - you mean they don't offer direct debits???? I screeched. We signed up for online bill paying just as soon as the bank offered it. Buy everything on a credit card, and pay off the whole balance every month: did this by debit card in the UK, but they are more protected Over There. I hardly ever carry cash - I think I only use it at the dry cleaners (which won't take cards). And now I have a credit card that gives you cash based on the amount you spend, it's even better.

You bank the way you're accustomed to - I'm used to a highly automated system!

• tisha_
    15 years ago

I never write checks anymore. At all. I don't even purchase checks from my bank anymore (my bank never did give them for free) so I keep 2 temporary checks in my purse, just in case. But, I only use my debit card for things these days. I hardly ever carry cash, and when I do, it's only $20 - $50. I'm scared to carry more than that.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals
More Discussions