SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Putting the Old Year to Bed, and welcoming in the New

calliope
16 years ago

This morning, my husband and I were cutting and slicing a whole pork loin for the freezer and for the celebration this evening. I got to write 2008 for the first time this year, and it feels so strange to have another tick over on the odometer of my life.

I absolutely love New Year's Day as it is a special time for my family to be together and for introspection and plans. We are very superstitious about this day, and believe what we do shall lay a pattern for the coming year. So, I try to go into it with my affairs in order, and decided on a year's aspirations and plans.

2008 is the year I put in a new strawberry bed, and perhaps set aside some ground for a new black raspberry bed as well, far away from my husband's tractor, lol. I also plan to have the ground turned for a garden plot, to accommodate enough room for a new corn and melon patch next to the old garden. I'll be starting some new grape vines from the ones at my folk's house to share with my children, so they'll have starts on their grandparent's grapes my father also lovingly started. And, perhaps a dozen new cherry trees because the birds quickly go through the fruits on the two I already have.

I want to get started on the book I've been compiling of family history on which I have worked about eight years gathering data. There are three or four day trips and a few overnights I need to make to complete the research, and I'm looking forward to the adventure.

I started a new quilt as well, to keep my hands busy in leisure hours (but those are few and far between, so I usually steal time late at night). And, this is the year I do the wall repairs on our up and downstairs foyer. I've put it off for twenty years and I ain't getting any younger.

I've also decided to try my hand at whittling. We've an abundance of old fallen trees and branches on the property for fodder. And last but not least, I need to get a new fishing license!

I said Goodbye to my Mother last year, and also her precious little dog, Daisy.......and stepped into the position of Matriarch of my family. It shall be awesome shoes to fill and I hope I'm ready for it.

What are your plans and dreams for the coming year? Life style changes? Job changes?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County
More Discussions