SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
connie1946_gw

Woman driver...needs lawn mower advice :)

connie1946
16 years ago

A "friend" wrecked my lawn mower by hitting a metal pipe with it.

he assumes it's ruined as it now started very noisy and smokes and shakes.

Since he ruined mine....he boughr me the most inexpensive mower available at Walmart (because he didn't know how to fix the one he wrecked and the one he was replacing I had boought used a few years ago at a yard sale. But at least I could start mine by myself even with my somewhat whimpy muscled senior citizen arms.

Anyway...the one he got is a Weed Eater Briggs and Stratton gasoline engine...sat 4.5 on it. It is not self propelled.

It is difficult for me to start. I've had to wait for someone to come along and start it for me. They usually can start it with a few pulls.

yesterday I got it started on one pull but it stiopped in about 5 seconds. friend says the lawn mower doesn't run very well. I have cut my lawn with it in the past.

Question: Is there anything i can do to improve the starting?

I bought some spray type carburator cleaner and hope it may help start better if I clean the air filter and spray this stuff into what I THINK is the carburator when i take off the foam type air filter.

Very frustrating.

QUESTION 2 later this fall ...when it comes to putting the mower away for winter and removing the gas...is it ok to tip it over to pour out the old gas? If so..in which direction should i tip it..toward the air filter side or toward the opposite side? I figure that might be important because I picture oil going into wrong places if I tip it.

Comments (5)