SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckyinrichmond

renovation questions

beckyinrichmond
10 years ago

I'm going to renovate the backyard this fall, which is mostly crabgrass and violets. I put down Roundup today. I have lime (soil test indicates the need for lime), starter fertilizer, and seed (tall fescue mixture). I'm hoping to get the ground prepared the week of Sept. 9 and plant toward the end of that week. The plan is spot spray with Roundup if needed, cut the lawn on lowest setting, rake the dead stuff up, rake with garden rake to loosen soil, put down lime, fertilizer, and seed, and start watering to keep the seed damp. My questions:
1. Is it okay to out the lime down at the same time of seeding and fertilizer? I'm using Solu-Lime from Southern States. If I out it down now, I'm afraid it will sit on top of the thick crabgrass and not make its way down to the soil.
2. Would it be good to use the dead, raked up weeds as a mulch after planting or is it full of weed seeds?
3. If I need to spot spray with Roundup, how long afterwards must I wait before can I cut the lawn low and start raking it up?
4. I don't have a roller but I do have a tamping tool. Would it be good to use that or does it not matter very much?

Comments (4)