SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tifway_crazy

Mowing Issue on my 419

tifway_crazy
13 years ago

So... after many posts and receiving lots of wonderful advice... my 419 lawn is on its way back. With the frequent mowing, lime application and monthly N things were looking up. But... now everytime I mow (Scotts Classic 20) the grass yellows/browns in stripes within a few days. This has been going on for about 6 weeks. I thought that I was taking too much off at once but I do not think that is the case all together. We also had a severe grasshopper infestation and sprayed. I raised the mower and took very little off and it is worse than ever this time. We have now gone 4 weeks without rain at my house and have had consistant 97 plus degrees for about the same (we have been 100+ for 2 weeks). I am giving it the recommended water but it doesn't seem to be phasing it at all! I was so proud of it and now I am getting bummed.

Any ideas of what I am doing wrong or what I need to do to help it? It is now getting too long becasue I am scared to mow it as often.

I would also like to know from someone what the common setting is on this mower for the 419. BTW... I do love the mower but it is getting harder to push. Infact, one of the areas that is yellowing/browning so bad is where the grass was very thick and while I was pushing it it was "skipping"/mowing real choppy. I need to get the length down to where it was happy but I am afraid to take too much off. My lawn is not very level so I was trying to do it by just moving it down a notch every time I mowed. I was not able to do that too many times before I got the problem.

OH... am I nuts or do I remember reading "somewhere" that I am to skip the N application in August? I am due for it.

I appreciate all comments/advice/help. Afterall... you all put up with my rambling and brought my yard back to life! THANK YOU!!!

Comments (5)