SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newatmowerrepair

Please help me debug my mower problem

newatmowerrepair
12 years ago

Hi, everyone.

I've got a Murray riding mower with a 12HP B+S engine. It's a 1995 model.

I've been trying to debug my mower, which recently suffered a loss of power. It runs rough, and it stops altogether when I engage the blade.

The first problem I noticed was that 2 of the 4 engine bolts had fallen out, causing severe vibrations. I had hoped this was my problem: as the engine vibrates, the shaft and its pullies would move, causing the drive belt to grip/slip/grip/slip. Then if you engage the blade, the tightening of the blade belt would pull the shaft toward the transmission even more, which would cause the drive belt to be even looser, possibly loose enough to stop the wheels from turning. So I bought new bolts and tightened the engine down but haven't tried it since. Figured I'd debug it more first.

Compression: B+S web site says to spin flywheel counter-clockwise. If it snaps back, you've got compression. Mine quickly slows to a stop but doesn't snap back.

Removed the head cover. Piston and valves move fine when turning the flywheel. Intake valve is black, exhaust valve is white, but both look good to me (not cracked or chipped). Cylinder wall has some scratches (bad piston ring?) Cleaned off carbon while I was in there. Removed the breather and saw that valve springs look nice and shiny and great.

Then, yuck. Noticed about a 1/4 inch hole just behind the valve springs. Rough edges, so it wasn't drilled. The hole is tapered such that the large part of the hole is on the valve side, not the crankcase side, so it seems like the chunk must have fallen into the valve chamber, not into the crankcase. The piece would have been too large to fall into the crankcase. But I didn't see it around the valve springs. Maybe it got pushed into the valve cylinders.

Anyhow, did something let loose inside the crankcase to cause this hole? Can't imagine it's a thrown connecting arm since the piston works fine.

Would love to repair this, but is it worth it? New engine seems to cost $600.

Here is my engine information:

model 282707

type 0122-01

code 9509084D

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines/support/?NTT=282707-0122-01

Thanks.

Steve.

Comments (20)