SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kenmc5

Good mulching mower recommendations

14 years ago

IÂm looking for some advice for a good heavy duty push mulcher. I may need to replace my Lawn Boy 10247. IÂve had this lawn mower for about 5-6 years. It feels like itÂs froze up when I try to start. I have to break it loose, then it leaks gas out the exhaust and air filter when I pull to start. Once it frees up, it starts. I think it has lost some compression. It runs good, smokes more than normal and uses more gas. This mower surged when I first got it and when took it back for surging the mechanic set the rpms to 3900. Mulched, bagged, and discharged everything. I did notice it smelled hot when I was done mowing. After reading this forum I drilled out the main jet, slowed down the RPMs to 3500 and was real happy with its performance. I have a gator blade and like the way it mulches both grass and leafs. I upgraded to steel wheels with bearings. In my opinion makes it push easier and the wheels take the rough part of my back lawn.

All in all itÂs been a good mower. I have mulched very thick grass and leaves. It leaves a few straggler grasses but if I need a perfect cut after heavy duty mulching I go over it again with an older LB 7227 side discharge (with sharp blade).

Any way it may be time for some major repairs or time to look around for a new or used mower. What I liked about the Lawn Boy was it light weight handling, mulching thick grass and the choice of side discharge, mulching, and bagging. What I donÂt like about is the noise and sometimes the exhaust gets a bit much. I always used the LB oil.

IÂve used the LB for the last 4 years to mulch leaves in the fall and IÂm thinking about getting another push mower primarily for good mulching and solid build. I would like to upgrade the wheels to steel wheels even if they are after marked but they need to fit. I had checked on a snapper and they stated they could not get steel wheels. I had wondered about entry level Toro SR or the entry level Honda with quad cut blade. IÂve wondered about a commercial grade mower but that is a bit out of my price range and they seam to be heavy. I think my lawn looks better with a lighter mower.

Thanks in advance for any advice. This site was a big help in choosing my LB and I was very happy with it performance.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations