SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bentbikerbill

The Perfect Mulching Lawn Mower Doesn't Exist

bentbikerbill
14 years ago

I mow my grass to about 3 1/2" high with a knife-sharp blade when the weather gets warm. This is the main reason that my grass looks excellent by anyone's standards. I use a Honda mulching mower that does as good a job as any mower I have ever used. But there is still room for improvement. The Honda has the same problem as all other mowers when it comes to tall grass like mine. The higher you set the mower, the less ability it has to lift the grass. The wheels push the grass down and the mower's vacuum can't lift it up. I mow at different directions each time, which helps, but when mowing at the 3 1/2" setting, there is always grass in the wheel tracks that doesn't get cut. There is a huge difference in the lifting ability when you raise the mower that last 1/2", but there is also a huge difference in how well the lawn does in the warm weather. Given the choice of this problem or mowing shorter to eliminate the problem, I will live with the uncut grass because the lawn still looks much better overall. It seems like the only solutions would be to design a mower that has more lifting ability or place the wheels behind the mower so they only push down the grass that has already been cut. A reel mower almost fits the description, but they are not good for tall grass. Unfortunately, I still think the perfect mulching mower for tall grass is yet to be invented.

Comments (2)