SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mowingman011

Help needed in finding the perfect self propelled mower

mowingman011
14 years ago

Hi,

I've been using a cheap push mower from Walmart for the last 3 years, and am pretty much fed up with it. I recently purchased this Craftsman mower to replace it:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07137683000P?vName=Lawn+%26+Garden&cName=Walk-Behind+Lawn+Mowers&sName=Self-Propelled+Lawn+Mowers

I like it quite a bit, but the self propelled setting is way too slow for me!!! I was thinking that I would be able to mow my lawn faster with a self propelled model than I could with my old push mower, but this isn't the case (at least not with the craftsman).

Are there any self propelled mowers that go at least 3.5 mph? I think I push my old mower around 3 mph, so I want something at least that fast, if not faster.

Here is what I'm looking for:

- Self Propelled (rear wheel if possible)

- Multiple speed levels

- High rear wheels

- 3 in 1 mulching mower

Is there such thing as a rear propelled high wheel mower? I've never seen one, so I wasn't sure.

The Toro 20333 looks just about perfect. Just how fast does it go on the highest setting?

I'm open to any recommendations, so all help is welcome. Thanks!

Comments (29)

• stinkytiger
    14 years ago

Hi,

I have a Honda HRC 216 commercial mower which is now 4 years old. I would say this is the Rolls Royce of mowers. It is expensive at about $US 1,300 and is heavy at about 125 lbs. It is rear wheel self propelled. Is a HYDRO so speed is variable to what ever you want. Is mulching and goes at a fair clip. Many professional lawn service guys use it. Sometimes they tweek it. Two known tweeks are on the carb to make the engine spin a little faster, and also to let out the SL cable that controls the HYDRo transmission to speed up the running speed. Note both tweeks void the warranty, but pros do it to increase their speed to get work done.

Mine has been reliable and I have never had an issue. Nice things are the blade brake, which save me once when I fell over on a slope, and the easy controls which desipite the weight makes this mower very easy to control.

Best, Mike.

• skane1
    14 years ago

You need to buy yourself the new Honda powered Husqvarna 7021R 3 in 1 self propelled mower with rear bagger.
    With this mower it has a really neat feature called "autowalk" which allows you to decide how fast you wanna walk.This mower also comes with single lever height adjustment and foldable handles for easy transport or storage.The mower is powered by a Honda engine so you know it's gonna last.This model cost $350 us and can easily be ordered through any Husqvarna dealer at no extra cost.
    The Husqvarna mowers are very affordable and dependable.
    I recently bought the Husqvarna 1021P push mower and I was just amazed at how well built these mowers are.The service from the dealer was 1st rate and when I bought the mower it was assembled free and the salesman even showed me how to operate it and it didn't cost a cent extra!
    Before I bought my new mower I checked out Wal-Mart also and about 25 other stores plus I looked at coutless reviews and I decided that with my limited budget I wanted a basic 3 in 1 pushmower that was top of the line and that was very affordable. Only Husqvarna offered such a mower and it surpassed all of my exspectations.I am 100% saticfied with my mower I bought and I know I have the best mower available for the price I paid.

check out: www.husqvarna.com

• Related Discussions

I need help on which is a better self Propelled Mower

Q

Comments (9)
    Most of the front wheel drive mowers from the home improvement stores and department stores are intended for light duty and flat yards. Problems frequently develop with the front drive after a few years. If there are hills on your property, consider rear wheel drive for better traction. My experience has been greater reliability on rear drive - from all the manufacturers mentioned. The flat head Briggs quantum engine has been a great mower engine for most homeowners. The earlier OHV Briggs ran great but had some hot starting issues. This engine was redesigned about two years by moving the carburetor to the opposite side of the cylinder. Problem areas with the new OHV have not yet been reported.
    ...See More

Toro Self Propelled Mower Problem

Q

Comments (22)
    I know this is an old question, but since I recently had the same problem I wanted to share the solution I found with everyone. I was also having problems with my rear left wheel, the gear kept getting stripped out after about 30 minutes of use. I went through 3-4 wheels before I found the true problem. The wheel is mounted to the body/frame of the mower, which is just sheet metal. From mowing sideways across the face of hillsides the mower's weight all goes onto the lower back wheel, and after a year or two of use the body/frame has bent. Now the wheel is not square with the drive shaft/pinion. This causes the gears to not mesh properly and the wheel gear to strip out. I bent the frame back then welded some 1/4" plate to the inside of the body/frame to stiffen it up. Since then the self propel system is working great.
    ...See More

Sears Self Propelled 6 HP 22' # 917.372910 Lawn Mower

Q

Comments (1)
    Call the local mower shops to see if they have a boneyard. The front wheel drive mowers were very common and a used 7/8 pulley should be easy to find. Another choice. Visit Sears and verify the 22" mower has a 7/8" shaft. Grab the 917 model number and look up the part number on SearsPartsDirect.
    ...See More

Craftsman mower - Self Propell Too Fast

Q

Comments (1)
    Are you sure that you got the belt on in the groove it goes into, on the crankshaft? I've worked on a bunch of them, but haven't seen that problem. I don't know of any way to cure it, except to walk faster! RJ
    ...See More
  • mowingman011
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the replies.

Stinkytiger,

I guess I should have mentioned price in my first post. I'm looking to spend no more than $400 or so on this. Anything more than that is out of my budget.

Skane1,

Thanks for the advice. Do you think the Husqvarna 7021R is better than the Toro 20333? I also noticed that they have another model that is the same thing, but it also has a blade control as well (like the 20333).
    Also, how fast does the 7021R go on its highest setting? Does it go faster than an able bodied person could push a non propelled mower?

Thanks again, and please keep the comments coming!

• mowingman011
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Skane,

I was just checking out Lowes.com and noticed that they carry the 7021R and the 7021RB. I think I might go with the RB model, since it has the blade control feature that I like so much.

Please keep the great advice coming!

• in ny zone5
    14 years ago

I run a self-propelled (rear-wheel) Toro Mulching mower for about 15 years without once for repairs. I mow 6 months of the year and once a week about 8,000 sqft, first grass and later leaves. I maintain the mower once a year myself. The mowing is simple and with little effort.

I notice that such a Toro mower now sells at Home Depot for only around $350. So why spend more? This is for yard work, not a luxury item. I notice that my neighbor bought a new Toro mower, possibly that Selfpace model, sounds less noisy than my old one.
    Bernd

• rmtx
    14 years ago

I have a 17 year old Snapper mower. It has 6 speeds, at its fastest speed it really hauls. Its rear wheel drive and has mulch/side discharge/bag adaptors. I only mulch with this mower, I hate bagging. The wheels are not 'high', but are you sure you need that?

Like I said, mine is 17 years old but I think the modern day version is the RP21675BDV or RP21875BV. Both of these have B&S engines with more power than my 5HP B&S.

• skane1
    14 years ago

Hi Glad you might be buying a Husqvarna mower!I`d stay away from the toro cuz it is not half the mower that the Husqvarna is.You will not be happy with a toro mower and I have already looked at them before I bought my new mower(husqvarna 1021P). AutoWalk variable drive system allows you to mow at your own personal pace by simply squeezing the trigger on the handlebar.
    If you do end up getting the Huqvarna you will have an amazing mower!

• gorper99
    14 years ago

The Toro for $350.00 is 10 times the mower that the Husq.is.Mine is 10 years old and no problems at all.Traded in a 2 cycle LB that would not start hot.Am getting another Toro next year.

• yungman
    14 years ago

I am on and off shopping for a nice mower also. I want to spent up to $1000 for a commercial. I posted about the Honda and Kawasaki but not too many responds.

I am looking at Ariens and Snapper. I can get one with Kawi FJ180V for about $800. Ariens have LM21SW with front caster for better turn. Deck is 14 gauge steel. Is the front caster better?

Snapper have one with Honda GXV160 for just a little over $1000. Is Honda engine worth paying more?

• metal
    14 years ago

Wow, looks like we have a new Husqvarna salesman on the board, geesh!

Yungman-If you are not answering mowingman's question then you should start a new thread for your question, taking someone else's thread is frowned upon.

Mowingman-the Toro's with the Personal Pace system will go as fast as you can walk. I am 6'4" tall and I can't out walk them. The drive system is very well thought out and quickly becomes second nature. I do not think larger rear wheels will help you unless you have a very bumpy yard.

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

There is no RWD mower with the big wheels. I highly recommend Toro with Personal Pace or Lawn Boy with Sens a Speed (same thing). As metal said, you cannot out-walk Personal Pace. I'm tired of writing over and over how it works, so you'll just have to take our word for it. In researching Husqvarna, I saw that they are evidently not made by MTD which is a good thing. I assume they have a plant here in the US? The Husky may be okay. I have no idea how fast it goes, but you want to avoid three-speed transmissions like on the Honda - they don't last very long. Personal Pace is the simplest, lightest and most dependable mower drive there is. You can get the same Honda engine on a Lawn-Boy with Sens a Speed for $399 delivered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lawn-Boy 10697

• skane1
    14 years ago

Husqvarna's has been in business for nearly 300 years making everything from guns to your mother's sewing machine and everything in between!Who long have the rest been around??50 plus years??The way businesses are going under today I'm sure glad I went with Husqvarna.At least if I need use the warranty I know they will be around.

• tarheelman
    14 years ago

Husqvarna is a very good company with very good products. So are these companies (in no particular order):

Toro/Lawn-Boy
    Snapper
    Ariens
    Honda
    Echo
    Stihl
    Tanaka
    Shindaiwa

Anyone in the market for outdoor power equipment will be well served by the products from all *nine* of these companies---they just need to shop around to see which one makes a product that best meets both their needs and their budget.

• overkillphil
    14 years ago

All of the "perfect mowers" are extinct.

• hedgehorn
    14 years ago

I bought the Snapper with the Honda comercial engine and I couldnt be happier. Plenty of power easy starting and I love the infinite speed settings on the drive. I had an older toro before with the suzuki engine and it was a great mower. My son is still using it.

• mowingman011
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks a lot for all of the great replies. I actually called my local Home Depot and had them have a Toro 20333 shipped into their store for me. It should be in by Thursday or Friday at the latest.
    My only real concern is that it wouldn't be very fast, but since you guys have confirmed that it can really move, I'm not worried at all.

I'll put up a little review after I use it a few times.

• metal
    14 years ago

"Who long have the rest been around??50 plus years??The way businesses are going under today I'm sure glad I went with Husqvarna.At least if I need use the warranty I know they will be around."

John Deere has been around since 1837 (172 years)
    Sears since 1886 (123 years)
    Lawnboy since 1904 (105 years)
    Toro since 1914 (95 years)
    Ariens since 1933 (76 years)
    Honda since 1947 (62 years)

Yeah, I would be pretty worried about my 2 year warranty on any of these brands (plus many more I am too lazy to look up).

• cobraman2009
    14 years ago

What is it with you and Husky?

• skane1
    14 years ago

Hi mowingman011
    You see the thing with toro is that unless you are willing to lay down the cash you will not be getting a real toro.The cheaper low end of the toro line is just some cheap mower with the toro name.
    Well good luck with your new mower but I fear you will not be happy cuz it's nowhere near the perfect mower.
    Best of luck!

• skane1
    14 years ago

The toro 20333 mower's "Personal Pace" drive system has a learning curve and is difficult to operate.The mower body is also very heavy

• 1saxman
    14 years ago

'The toro 20333 mower's "Personal Pace" drive system has a learning curve and is difficult to operate.The mower body is also very heavy'

Dude: Your inane comments have now entered the fantasy realm. I am sure that a few regulars here could esily get you banned for deliberately making false statements relative to someone's major purchase of a new premium mower. I plan to contact the administrator as soon as I finish this post. Goodbye.

• skane1
    14 years ago

My comments saxman1 are based on facts!The 20333 is a good mower but it's not perfect.
    http://www.consumersearch.com/lawn-mower-reviews/toro-recycler-20333

• yungman
    14 years ago

The more expensive the mower, the better it is. Most that cost over $800 can mow over 4mph from the spec. You want perfect mower.....$$$$$$

• mowingman011
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all of the replies (even if they are less than positive).
    I realize that the Toro 20333 isn't perfect, but it appears to be the best mower under $400. Even less considering I have a 10% off coupon as well!
    I'm pretty sure I'll be able to figure things out rather quickly, and the weight shouldn't be an issue, since the thing runs by itself.

• skane1
    14 years ago

Mowingmano11 enjoy your new mower and updates us on how it performs for you ok?

• metal
    14 years ago

Go away Husqy spammer!

• tom3310
    14 years ago

The Toro personal pace speed control requires you to push against the mower to make it move. I have owned a Toro mower with this feature, and I think expend more energy pushing against this control than I would if I had a regular push mower. I do not think Toro has a good design for this. Others such as Husqvarna, Honda, and Troy-Built have a design which provides the same feature but less work on your part.

• roadbike
    14 years ago

Tom3310: If you are pushing the mower forward then the belt isn't engaging the pulley and needs to be tightened. A properly adjusted personal pace works just by the operator holding the handle and walking forward. Just the act of walking forward pushes your hands into the bar and that easy movement engages the drive belt. It's one of the best design improvements to come along in a long time.

• msgoldie_buckeye-express_com
    12 years ago

I agree with Skane1--the personal pacer Toro IS a heavier lawn mower -for me to use--and more for men and not women!
    I'm trying to sell mine ! What's a good light-weight lawn mower-for a woman to push around?