SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherm1082

Bermuda fertilizer question

sherm1082
10 years ago

Here's my scenario. I have been following the Bermuda Bible not to the "t" but very closely and have had very good results. I just have one question regarding fertilization. I went to the Lesco store and got 46-0-0 fertilizer. It is my understanding it's fast release and not slow release. If I recall, the Bermuda Bible says to get a fertilizer that is 75% fast release and 25% slow release. Obviously I messed up there. So in an effort to kill two birds with one stone, this year I put down 46-0-0 monthly to be my fast release and Milorganite down monthly at bag rate as a slow release and iron supplement. For the most part, my results were good. My grass would grow like crazy but it wouldn't always have that lush green color. Also, it would start to show small signs of needing fertilizer right around or before the 30 day mark.

My question is what should I do next season? I had a few different ideas:

1. Keep using the 46-0-0 fertilizer for fast release and see if Lesco sells a slow release nitrogen fertilizer and use both. Texas weed had suggested Bonide as an iron suppletement and I thought about using that instead of Milorganite.
2. Keep using the 46-0-0 and put down Milorganite at half of the bag rate. Use Bonide for iron.
3. Only use 46-0-0 and Bonide. Don't worry about a slow release.
4. Give up on the 46-0-0 and go to John Deere and get a different fertilizer.

I don't know what to do partly because....well, I don't know what to do and I don't know what Lesco offers. I will say after I realized 46-0-0 was fast release, I called to see if I could exchange it and they said they would. I saw people on here suggest like a 34 or 39-0-0 fertilizer. The stores up here do not carry it. Any help would be appreciated.

This post was edited by Sherm1082 on Wed, Aug 21, 13 at 14:00

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Ngrained Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Custom Woodworking, Décor, and More in Franklin County