SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sulevfan

My big Backyard

sulevfan
16 years ago

I have a very large backyard (live on a 1-acre plot). It is heavily treed with native oak trees. At the moment is is basically unusable because there is nothing growing under the oak trees except sparse weeds and creepers and the ground is covered with a thick layer of old, fallen leaves.

I'm having a crew clean it up at the moment, by taking out all the dead and trees and cutting the branches up to clear the lower limbs of the trees. Also removing enough of the smaller trees/bushes so there is space for a mower to pass between the trees.

I'd like to make it a more usable/livable space by having something grow under the trees that is relatively low-care - some form of grass that can be mowed monthly or so.

Is this possible to seed some grass or are the trees too dense to allow for any undergrowth?

Ideally I'd not mind clumps of taller native grass if I can get the guy with the mower to mow around it, but I don't really just want this impenetrable, weed-filled backyard any longer.

Oh, and I apologize if I chose the wrong forum to post this in, but I'm dreaming of a green expanse under my trees! ;)

To give you an idea of what it currently looks like I posted a few pictures at Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of my backyard

Comments (10)