SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mosmitty

Brown Patches in Lawn

mosmitty
10 years ago

These brown patches started appearing in my lawn a few weeks ago. I live in Missouri about 30 miles west of St. Louis. We have received abundant rain here so I have not run my irrigation system very much. Last year it was hot so we were running it all the time to keep the grass green. My fear is that stunted root development, however the lawn was sodded originally in the spring of 2000 so the roots should be firmly established.

I have fertilized a couple times this year, once with Scotts with Crabgrass preventer (late March) two times when I put down Black Beauty seed (both times with Scotts lawn starter, with weed preventer in May about 3 weeks apart) and in last week, I put down Scotts max Green to try and green it up. The spots have gotten worse over the last couple weeks.

I've raked grass in and around the brown areas and was able to fill two lawn and garden bags with dead (I'm assuming thatch). It has been a couple years since the lawn was aerated or thatched. I typically bag my grass clippings.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012