SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sbradley_gw

Need help re: apple trees...very confused/overwhelmed.

sbradley
14 years ago

I thought it would be nice to get my dad some apple trees. Ideally, I'd like for them to be his Christmas gift, even though he obviously wouldn't be getting them on Christmas. I've been researching and reading until I'm on information overload and am very confused.

My parents live in southern Missouri, zone 6. Rocky clay soil, they live in the Ozarks. I'd like to get 2 or 3 apple trees. I'm leaning towards Enterprise, Braeburn, and Honeycrisp. I need to do some more research on a yellow or green apple, because ideally I'd like to get 2 reds and a yellow/green.

What's confusing me most is the size and rootstock options, as well as planting times. Is it too late to plant them this year? If so, I'm left with a spring shipping date. I've only ordered one thing bare-root before...2 butterfly bushes...and they pretty much died. I'd hate for these apple trees to spend a year or better looking for the most part dead. And as far as rootstock goes...I understand the difference in ultimate tree size and how that is affected by rootstock, and how the rootstock will also affect the precocity of the tree. What I'm still unclear on is if certain rootstocks are better for certain soils/climates, or certain varieties of tree, etc.

Lastly, I read on some website that dwarf trees (with M9 or B9 rootstock) will typically fruit after the first year...whereas semi-standards typically take 4-5 years to fruit. Do the dwarf trees really set fruit that much faster? My parents have unlimited space...they live on 110 acres...but at the same time, my dad is going to wind up planting the trees in the "yard" (which is still like 2 acres) so he can see them. I'd like for the trees to be fruiting within a couple of years, but not at the expense of the health of the tree.

Comments (30)