SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
itzbinnice

Bade Installation on Lawnboy Insight 10685 Mower

itzbinnice
9 years ago

Need help in installing the blade on a Lawnboy Insight 21 inch push mower.
Model# 10685 (2007), Serial # 270031296 with Tecumseh 6.5 HP Engine.

Sounds simple enough but I am baffled. I�m trying to help my 81 year old brother in-law who owns the mower.
He must have hit protruding tree roots and damaged the Blade Adapter (driver) part # 106-3987.

Here is the problem, the Tecumseh engine has a keyway running the entire length of the shaft. The damaged blade adapter has a small cutout in it that aligns with the keyway, the problem is the blade adapter does NOT have a keyway groove in it and must slide on the shaft without a key. I would have assumed the key is tapped in after the blade adapter is in place on the shaft. That confuses me since what is to prevent the key from flying off when the blade is spinning.
What�s more confusing is that the parts schematics for both the Lawnboy and the Engine do not show a key.
Why then is there a cutout on the blade adapter for a key The key is missing if there ever was one?. Also, without a key, is tightening the blade bolt keeping enough pressure on the blade adapter to keep it tightly in place?

Any help with this issue is sincerely appreciated since I have never seen a setup like this before.

Comments (11)