SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiebo

LawnBoy (10685) vs. Toro (20017) vs. John Deere (JS70)

okiebo
18 years ago

I've searched through the forum on this topic and found some posts, but all are over a year old. Since last year was the first to introduce this new type of LawnBoy (I know, still made by Toro) I thought I would as it again. I've have a standard suburbia 1/4 acre lot with a bit of landscaping. There is no grade to speak of, and I bag 90% of the time (at least for now)

I have about 80% bermuda and 20% St. Augustine. I sodded some areas of my backyard with St. Augustine because my bermuda wouldn't grow with the goal of it taking over my entire backyard in a few seasons. It is well on its way.

Now on to my question. I've decided against the Toro Super Recyclers and settled on a mower from HD or Lowes. I've narrowed it down to the following:

LawnBoy (100685) - $328 after taxes and discount

Toro (20017) - $289 after taxes, discount and $30 rebate

John Deere (JS40) - $432 after taxes and discount

I've got a coupon I can use for a % off at either Lowes or HD, so that makes up the discount.

The LB and Toro both have Tecumseh 6.5s and the John Deere has a B&S 6.75. The Deere also has caster wheels and what looks to be the Snapper Hi-Vac (at least that's what they call it) deck.

The LB has a very easy to use bagging function. The Toro's isn't that bad, just not as easy to remove. I am not sure about the Deere because they didn't have a model on the floor to inspect. It is a side discharge system though.

Any help in this decision given the above prices would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (10)