SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vatomatobud

Sprinkler & Timer types - recommendations?

VATomatoBud
12 years ago

Hello. We have a new construction about to be landscaped. August certainly not my preference, but we have no control. We are not planning for irrigation, but do want to water so that we have a little sod established in the beginning. Here were are mid-Atlantic, zone 6b or 7a, not sure yet the microclimate.

Anyway, I am more of an herb & tomato person. This will be my first time "growing grass", but I do know a little:

- Water very early morning;

- Water more deeply, and less frequently, to teach the roots to go deeper;

- Keep mower blade higher, keeps grass cooler;

- Guess I will learn more as I continue to lurk here.

Question is, until we move in, I need to set up an "establish the lawn" watering routine. I am expecting to be able to have two hoses, each with a timer at the spout. Each hose should have some type of watering device at the end. For the first (week?) period of time, and weather contingent, I expect the water to be able to come on by itself for a period of time, water the lawn, then shut off with no issues.

Having never done this, it makes sense. But I'm asking - does anyone know of two items in particular?

First, the watering device - what do you recommend?

I've seen tripod stands that spit water in an arc.

I've seen those left-to-right arc "sprinklers" that we used to run through as kids.

Which is best?

Secondly, the timer device. Before, I've done this where you turn it on, and it stays on for an hour or so, then shuts off. I've done that for tomatoes, but that means I have to BE THERE to turn it on. We live 30 miles from the new construction. I can be there every 2 or 3 days to move the hose around, but I can NOT go by every morning and turn the water on.

Is there any sort of dependable, affordable, simple timer device that you recommend?

Thanks!

Comments (5)