SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oofahgatoofah

Watering timers & sprinklers for absentee gardener?

oofahgatoofah
16 years ago

Hello,

I live in an apartment, and have a small 16' x 3' or so vegetable garden in my mother's back yard on the other side of town. This is it's second season, and like last year I'm doing mostly tomatoes with a few other things here and there.

For whatever weird reason(s), my mother "just really doesn't want to" water the garden for me at all. I really can't figure out what her problem is, since she suggested "we" do the garden, I put a bunch of time and money into it and it's only 20 feet from the back door. She's weird if you ask me. Says she never goes back there for anything.

I generally stop over there once per week to do some work in the garden, visit the dog, do laundry or whatever. But I have a problem with burning 1/2 a gallon of gas to drive there and back just so i can water the garden for 5-10 minutes.

Last week she bought some $37 watering timer from the hardware store. I appreciate it and all, but I'm not too confident about how it will do for the garden. I figure it will waste water, since the faucet will be on 24/7 and surely do some leaking. Then there's the risk of over-watering, since I can't count on anyone turning the thing off when it's raining well enough. Also I've no idea what sort of watering attachment to connect to it.

My mother says there's some item that puts the hose/showerhead attachment "way up high" and I guess she thinks that will cover the garden well enough. I don't know what she's talking about, but the watering wand attachment now on the hose would probably only cover a 3 or 4 foot area if it was 10 feet in the air. I don't see how anything in a stationary position is going to cover the entire garden, let alone evenly.

I figure I'll have to find a lawn sprinkler of some kind that can be set to just cover the 3 x 16' garden area. I'm sure there are a million different sprinklers out there though, and who knows which ones the local hardware/box stores will have in stock.

I don't know. I still can't believe I have to go through all this when my mother could just spend like 15 minutes per week watering the garden right outside the back door.

If anyone has suggestions/recommendations so far as what type of sprinkler would work best for this, I'd really appreciate it. I figure gardeners take vacations too, so there's gotta be some solutions out there.

I already have some stuff in the ground and don't want to bury a sprinkler hose thing. I do plan on piling on the mulch.

Comments (4)