SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rms899

'New' Lawn Boy 10323 - My wife will be mad....

rms899
16 years ago

It's (almost endless) summer here in Florida and my old front wheel drive Murray (aka Scotts) wore out. In desperation, I bought another used RWD Murray that I don't like at all long term so I kept looking.

I spied a fairly new ( 2003 10323 Dura Force) Lawn Boy for $70 on Craigslist , looked at it and bought it. It ran well, seemed light and responsive enough for our needs. I noticed that it was kind of oily under the air cleaner, but didn't think much about it ( wrote it off to being a two-stoke).

I cut the high, thick bahia we have and it did well enough. The wife was pleased that I didn't bring home another junker.

But, I did, I am afraid.

After checking it over reading the manuals etc ( that I downloaded from the Lawnboy website), I know that the engine bottom bearing/seal isn't great. I think there is probably .050 or so clearance down there that I can feel by wiggling the blade. I checked the exhaust port and I see a little scoring on the piston, but it has good compression.

I looked at the engine manual and I am pretty sure I can rebuild this engine ( I have rebuilt several car engines).

It seems to me that the minumum I would need would be a crank assembly that I can get for about $78 that includes bearings ( and a bottom seal).

Is it possible that I could simply find and press a new bearing on the crank that I have, or is it likely bent? Is it worth it to just buy a whole new short block ( they seem to retail for $225).

Or check ebay?

We still have 3 solid months of heavy cutting season down here in Florida...can this mower hold out that long without doing more damage.

Any ideas, Lawn Boy gurus?

Rick

Comments (15)